OS9 on a seperate partition?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by benixau, Jan 11, 2003.

1. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

can someone please in 1,2,3,etc steps please give me instructions on how to make os9 on a different partition when doing an install of jag.

i may know UNIX but i dont know GUI install/partitioning. why? cause it doesnt exist in UNIX.

simple :) thanx

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

As far as I know....

1. Insert the OS9 CD and boot the computer from de CD.
    2. Use the "Drive Set-UP" application that comes with your system and use Initialize.
    3. As I do not have access to that window because I would initialize my main HD, there you will find the partition settings.
    4. I would recomend 4 partitions depending of your hard drive size:
    a. OSX: 5GB
    b. OS9: 2GB
    c. Software: 10GB
    d. Storage: the rest

I like to have my HD divided like that because once I intall the applications I do not have to mess with that partition any more. The only partition I will use a lot is the "Storage", there is where I'm gonna place pictures, sounds, mp3, text files, etc. That give tons of stability to any system of software jus because you will no be fragmenting softwares or systems.

well...
    5. After you reformated all your drive... be carefull with the formating language, use unix. If you didn't you can doi agan, no Mac drive get damage for wrong formating.

6. After the formating is done, you can install your OS's where you wanted and that is it.

Remember that creating partitions will erase all the infor in your drive. Use low level format to do it quickly.

That is.

3. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I think I've heard that using UNIX format for your drives would mess with some application/disk utilities.

I believe Mac OS Extended (HFS+) is the way to go even for X, because OS 9 is not compatible with UNIX disk format and can not access UNIX formatted disk.

Does OS 9 read UNIX format??? I could be wrong about this. But UNIX format is not recommended as I understand.

IMO, 4 patitions sounds a little bit too much depending on the usage. I've never used more than two pertitions on a single physical drive. But it's just me. I use a dozen drives for DV though. reading and writing video data really messes with your disk. But for any other kida data, it probably won't be a biggy.

4. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Seeing that I no longer ever boot into Mac OS 9, what I have done is to use the OS 9 Install CD to install the system software onto an appropriately-sized mounted disk image. I selected the system folder on the disk image in the Classic preference pane, and if the disk image is not mounted at the time I wish to start Classic, the system mounts it automatically. It works wonderfully and I don't need to worry about other partitions.

Of course, I can't boot into Mac OS 9 from the image, so this might be completely useless to you.

5. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Oh I've never thought of it. But it sounds like a beautiful way to go if you don't need to boot into 9. Cool idea. Partitioning a disk is such a pain in the a** for me. BTW, I only have two partitions on my disk: one for X and small one for 9.

6. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Simple - when you're installing Jag you should see a menu item for "open disk utility". Here you can partition you drive as you see fit. (always idea to separate system and data partitions anyway).

After you install Jag you can install OS9 separately on the other partition. One warning, though - after you install OS 9 it's going to want to boot back into OS 9 when you restart. Hold down the "x" key when restarting to force a boot into OS X.

Hope this helps!

7. benixau thread starter macrumors 65816

benixau

thankyou all, but there is one major hiccup - only have jag install disks.

do i need to go get os9 or can i still do it.

thanx for all the help.

please note that when this waustion i sanswered i am likely to print offf this fforums from navigator. if you dotn wish for your post to be rpinted please notify me by pm and i will not do so. thankyou.

8. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Sorry, dude, you need the OS 9 disk. No OS 9 disk, no OS 9 boot or even Classic environment. Do you really need Classic, though? Unless you have existing OS 9 software that you want to use. If you're a new Mac user, there's really no need.

9. yamadataro macrumors 6502

If you are a new Mac newbie with a new machine, I think you can just partition your disk and then use Software Restore disks to create X and 9 system on your OS X drive, then simply move the OS 9 System folder to your another partition. You can move OS 9 folder to anywhere you want. The system will recognize it no matter where it is.

I think Software Restore disks will restore the 9 system as well, if I'm not mistaken.

10. benixau thread starter macrumors 65816

benixau

hang on. then how do i use classic now?? how do i boot to os9 now?</sarcasm>

i boot into os9 now and have classic, all i want to do is move os9 onto a seperate partition because i may need to boot into it. on the mdd macs it is easier if they are on seperate partitions.

11. yamadataro macrumors 6502

If you just need to move your OS 9 folder you can just drag and drop. But to move that to another partition, you need to create that partition first. To create that partition, you need to format the whole physical drive.

Unless that OS 9 folder on the same disk as OS X is causing a lotta trouble, just leave it there. Formatting/pertitioning a computer you've used for a while is a big pain. I only change partition when I purchase a new machine and stick with it.

If you still want to have OS 9 in a new partition, try the stuff I've described above.

Good luck :)