Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Does anyone want to make a version of the Oscar The Grouch in the trash for OS X? I can beta test it if you want.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I love trash!

Not all too sure what happ to that awesome app but I'm sure the folks at Jim Henson's Sesame street weren't all too pleased. That could be why its plug was pulled.

-"I love it because it's trash!"

-"I love trash!"

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
ah i remember this. this made lots of parents mad because their kids would throw away anything just to see oscar come out.

iJon

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i've been hoping for a while someone would do an X version, but if i remember correctly no one even did an OS 9 one... i miss him too, such nostalgia... :)

pnw

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Oh you young'uns, don't know any of this cool stuff. Oscar was a utility that played an animation of Oscar the Grouch coming out of the trashcan singing "oh i love trash" and "i love it because it's trash" when you emptied the trash. Totally adorable. It was originally for OS 7.1, it was updated for 7.5 and 8 I think... then it disappeared...

it's a fond memory for everyone that installed him... i remember doing it on our school labs :)

grouch.gif

there's a thread over at osxfaq that is similar...

:)
pnw

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
i remember that - and i am almost 18. Oscar was the coolest. But it got annoying after a while. I use my mac to work - cause unlike my pc - i can work on my mac trouble free

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I'm sure someone could make a trash can icon replacement, but for a real Oscar like before, you'd have to use one of those trash can replacement programs that puts a trash can on your desktop. Try writing one of those developers and seeing if they would put it in.

JW

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
i had that guy, he ruled. Oh the amount i stuff I threw into to the trash just to see the little guy......

Would it be possible to have it as an animation in the dock? or does it work like that....?

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by Jaykay
i had that guy, he ruled. Oh the amount i stuff I threw into to the trash just to see the little guy......

Would it be possible to have it as an animation in the dock? or does it work like that....?

i know that icons bounce in the dock. that is a form of animation. i want to just put stuff in, and take it out:D

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by sparkleytone
someone should make a konfabulator widget to do it. finally that program would get some use.

that's a good idea, but i don't like to run konfab all the time. it was only fun for the first wee or so, and then i got tired of it. haven't run it since.

does anyone know where the file for the trash can is so i can at least put a picture of oscar and stuff like that?

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
that's a good idea, but i don't like to run konfab all the time. it was only fun for the first wee or so, and then i got tired of it. haven't run it since.

does anyone know where the file for the trash can is so i can at least put a picture of oscar and stuff like that?

It's here: HD/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/trashfull.png. Also there is trashempty.png.

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
the dilemma here is artwork. It needs to be a lot better than the 32x32 pixel, 16 color Oscar that we had in the past. Should be about photoreal, and needs to be pretty big for magnification...

anyone wanna volunteer to figure it out? :)

pnw

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
You would need a new "trash can" with lid like 9 had, because we now have a "waste basket" not a "trash can" and Oscar lives in a can not a basket.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
You would need a new "trash can" with lid like 9 had, because we now have a "waste basket" not a "trash can" and Oscar lives in a can not a basket.

i am on changing the image, but someone will need to work on the sound. now that i know where the trash icons are, i can do it, as long as i can find a picture of oscar himself. anyone know where i can find a lot of sesame street pictures? when i find one, i can make it come true!:D:D:D

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i have gotten a picture of oscar only for when something is in the trash. i have a lot to go though. i need someone o help me with the sound byte, and some links to good high quality pictures of oscar the grouch.

a problem that i am having, is whenever i log out, it goes back to the default, but if i take it out, and then in, it shows up again. anyone know why this is happening? is there another .png for the trash somewhere else?

thanks people!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.