OSX 10.4.8 System Hesitation/Delay

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kdbilly, Dec 15, 2006.

1. kdbilly macrumors member

kdbilly

I've upgraded to 10.4.8 recently from 10.3.9 and am having big hesitations/delays in all apps that I use. I've upgraded 2 separate machines so I'm pretty sure it's not something to do with an individual system, seems like a Tiger issue. Double clicks take a few seconds or more to start, opening things, maneuvering through windows/pallets (layers, etc.) in apps is super slow. I'm using CS2 and having issues in all apps within it as well as other software. I have a G4 867 dual MDD with plenty of RAM and HD space and a G4 733 Quicksilver with plenty of RAM and HD space as well, same symptoms on both. My laptop (G4 FW800) running OS 10.3.9 is quick as these used to be. Anyone else have this prob? Any ideas how to remedy? I'm stumped.. Thanks much for any help.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did you performa a clean install or did you use OSX's upgrade feature? An outright clean install might be preferable. :)

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Have you run a third party disk repair application on the drive structure?

It sounds unrelated but I'd had a couple of times way back when where certain things couldn't be detected or repaired properly by Disk Utility and things improved immensely.

Of course, there is always the ever popular Permissions repair that has solved more than a few strange issues.

4. kdbilly thread starter macrumors member

kdbilly

I haven't tried those options, but will.

Thing is.. everything is new, clean installs on a new HD on one system, clean install on a reformatted HD on the other. The systems are only about 4-5 days old and not very much work has been done on either of the machines yet, that's why it seems odd to me. There were no problems whatsoever with the installs and I'm not running anything different than the previous systems. It's happening on both machines (which are not networked), pretty much identical symptoms, which is why I thought it might be a known issue. I'll try disc repair though, and also have TechTools as well. Thanks much..

5. Dellius macrumors newbie

Clean install is also better. My OS X gives me a lot of errors after upgrade to 8 but now I am going to format and do a clean install.