OSX 10.5 Before Longhorn?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by miloblithe, Jan 29, 2005.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

So Longhorn is supposed to ship in 2006, but the latest rumors/news. Who thinks OSX 10.5 (Pussycat) will ship before Longhorn? If 10.4 comes out in June, then the gaps between OSX versions will have come:

Beta Sept 2000 -
    10.0 March 2001 6months
    10.1 Sept 2001 6 months
    10.2 July 2002 10 months
    10.3 Oct 2003 15 months
    10.4 June? 2005 20 months

At that pace, 10.5 in early 2007?

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Apple have said that 10.4 should ship in Q1 2005, it would perhaps ship in march/april..

Xp shipped in 2001 and i think longhorn ships as scheduled in 2006.

Apple has also said that OSX is became mature and they won't be shipping a new version each year any more. I don't expect 10.5 before 2007/2008, I might be totaly wrong..

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

is longhorn realy going to change the windows operating system thet much?
    whats different?

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

As Mac users I think we've become to accustomed to annual updates. It will be odd to go pass 2 or 3 WWDCs without any-mention of a new operating system. However, Tiger seems quite beefy so it should hold up well for awhile.

6. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I was wondering the same thing. I have a friend I recently turned on to the mac world and he was extremely impressed with the Tiger demo at MWSF but he said that longhorn would was going to have the same impact on windows.

7. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Whenever Longhorn comes out, it won't matter if we still only have OS 10.3. It will still be a million times better than anything M$ comes out with. Longhorn has been stripped of so many of it's features and Tiger just keeps adding stuff with each new build.

As a question to anyone more familiar with Longhorn, is it supposed to have 64 bit support?? I hear XP64 is coming out in March/April. I figure that 64 bit support will be another feature that is taken out of Longhorn making Tiger that much better.

Anyway, too much talking/reading about M$ is making my head hurt, time to move on to another forum.

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

unless I missed something the figure is still first half of 2005, think June

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Compare OSX Present to Longhorn Future.

Basically, its OSX.

Its interface is crisp and clear and has the same eye-candy as OSX (minimize a program to the taskbar gets the same effect as the program hiding to the dock - the swishy thingy) and is more stable. The thing with longhorn is that instead of it being like old windows OSes, this one will not have an OS then programs added (like XP is an OS but then they put Windows Explorer/Internet Explorer on top of it so its "integrated with the os") so everything you see is the actual OS, much like OSX. And it looks really cool - like OSX. And its supposed to be much safer and faster and easier than any other Windows OS. But Microsoft is doing what they always do: They dropped the core part of the OS (WinFS File System which is "revolutionary" lol) so it will use the old windows file system, which means its not really an upgrade, its more like a 300+ dollar patch - but thats what it is NOW, who knows the future?

By then, OSX will be much cooler than Longhorn - OSX is the future today, Longhorn is The Future from about 3 years ago :D

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Looking at the real point where Longhorn should be released (WinFS and other components they have dropped) I do think we may see 10.5 before, if we think about a piece of beta software going to the stores with a name on it, longhorn will be first, apple has clearly said that they will slow down the OS releases and I can imagine 10.5 @ Q4 2007 / Q1 2008 along with the G5 iBooks :D ...

11. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I agree completely... :p ;)

Note: Enough posts for today, go to work, laundry / vacuum cleaner / do the bed... :)

12. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Well.. Longhorn won't come before 2007 sorta.. it should come somewhere around 31st of december 2006 so.. :)

But I hope we won't see those frequent os-updates anymore. Maybe I'll just buy Tiger and settle with it.. Or maybe I'll hold on to my good, old 10.2

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

IIRC Apple indicated that they wanted to slow releases of the OS to something like every 18 months or so.

14. Zaty macrumors 65816

Longhorn RTM is scheduled for May 24, 2006. Those 2007 rumours are old stuff. MS wants to ship Longhorn in June 2006. If they can make it, that's another question but since they have stripped down Longhorn significantly, I don't doubt it will be launched sometime next year.

15. miloblithe thread starter macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The pace has definitely been slowing. It would be nice if there are 2 years of improvements (and additions) to Tiger rather than the need to update the OS for what seem like improvements in programs (like the improvements to Mail and Safari).

16. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

I think Apple really want to get tiger out of the door fairly quickly so that everyone knows about their new search technology (spotlight).

This is the one thing that everyone is raving on about these days, and once apple has released their version, the race is over. Then they can spend 2-3 years developing an OS that builds more on that technology, without having to worry about being in front of MS.

Also, has anyone noticed how apple have changed the tiger branding to just a big silver 'X' with a solid black background as opposed to the tiger skin stuff at wwdc? i like the new one :)

/asif