OSX 10.5 integrated boot camp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SheriffParker, Jun 10, 2006.

1. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Just curious if anyone has heard about this:

I was reading an article in my local paper here in New Mexico and it mentioned three ways of running windows on the new macs.

1. Boot camp
    2. Parallels
    3. Unreleased Beta: Codeweavers Cross-Over Mac

Basically they have gotten their beta (not yet released) to the point that you can load office xp for windows on the intel macs, and it will just run natively. The window looks like a windows window, but its running in osx. There is no switching or rebooting. It just runs windows programs.

They only had office xp working, but they imagined in a few months they would be able to do many more programs. If this is true, surely apple knows about this ability.

Finally, the point of this thread:

I have this inkling that OS 10.5 will have this feature built in. There will be no need for bootcamp. You will put windows xp discs in your mac, install windows programs, and you won't even have to deal with windows.

What do y'all think?

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

You're thinking of WINE. It should be noted that all of the solutions you mentioned are currently in beta, not just the last one.

3. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

That would be the ultimate. Just because OS X would become the definite cross-platform OS. Apple would probably get a bigger chunk of the gaming industry once the intel powermacs come out, as all you would have to do is put the disk in.

4. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

First off WINE has been out for a long time for linux and well not much runs on it IMO, but also games like Steam have massive trouble running in cedega and there is a massive loss of performance

5. SheriffParker thread starter macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Oh okay. I wasn't sure what it was. Codeweavers did develop WINE, and they are working on one for OSX now that the intel processers are out...

But it sounds like it won't be very easy to get lots of programs to run. I bet they'll do office really well, but it sounds like a getting everything else would be something a bit too unrealistic for the near future.

Oh well. It would be very exciting though if they could do it.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm not sure why anyone would want to run Windows Office on a Mac. Mac:Office is native, and generally just as good (IMO, better). Anyway WINE is interesting, but I worry that developers will use it as a way to cop-out and not develop Mac-native versions of their apps. Why port software when you can just tell people to run WINE?

7. cardude280 macrumors member

because codeweaver is a more advanced version of WINE and from what i here
    is office:Mac has some compatibility issues with office for windows

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I've never run into any compatibility problems other than missing fonts. That's a problem between Windows machines that don't have the same fonts installed too.

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i would never want .exes or any other windows files to boot nativley within OS X. This opens our beautiful, clean, pristine system up to the terrors of the windows world like viruses trojans etc.