Osx.2

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ensign Paris, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hi Guys

I have just got OSX.2 installed on my older iMac 400, it looks great so far, I will post some pictures later!

So far it seems quite fast and it hasn't crashed yet :)

Ensign

2. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

rite, I am posting from X.2 Dev Beta now,

Anyone want any pictures of specific features? or want me to look at anything?

Ensign

3. mattpol macrumors regular

4. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

This is the 'chat' window:

Attached Files:

5. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

6. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm betting on Hotline or something simular, alot of others seem to have got it from there.
    Am I on the right track Ensign? :cool:

8. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

almost, I normally would get it this way, but I had a friend who went to WWDC (he write technical manuals on Nuclear Power Stations) so he gets alot of money and alot of free time so he went and got the beta discs, after he installed them he gave me a copy, but normally, yes, I would have got it from hotline :)

Ensign

9. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

something you might find neat (you might already know) is in one of the windows you can make the text stuff boxes instead of bubbles which is a lot easier for me.

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i too got it and it actually seems more sluggish than x.1.... hmmm

i'm sure i'm just doing something wrong..... i hope

11. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

what kind of mac are you running it on?

12. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

I *ahem* have a copy from KDX, but I can't get it to install, I make a boot disk, and all I get is this "Restart the computer" in six different languages. Help, I guess? :)

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well...

Once you download it, you can NOT unstuff it because it is an OS. You have to open Toast and burn the file as a Disc Image.

Reboot and it should work....

14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

What wall paper does it come with, I saw a cool Jaguar wall paper I wonder if it has new wp. Also what does the search window look like. Is sherlock 3 on it?

15. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

...One last thing (thanks for the help BTW :) ) But do I just have to burn the FIRST disc to the CD and continue from there, or do I need the second one? Thanks in advance. :D

16. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

If you look at what's on the second disk...

...you'll see that it's additional printer drivers + apps. My friend has 6C48 on his G4 450, but it doesn't seem all that much faster. However, this is because if it was faster, it would be obnoxious. The only things that got faster were the ones that weren't already fast enough.

17. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

This is the new kernel panic screen. Instead of dumping debugger info on the screen, it just gives you this screen now.

18. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Here is a screen grab (which is pdf by default now).

A note to everyone: iChat is bloated, use Adium.

Attached Files:

19. Choppaface macrumors 65816

1) does the seach box in the finder windows work? what exactly does it do? please tell me it doesnt just open sherlock....

2) can you command-click-drag in the body of a window to scroll a folder like you can a page in IE?

3) is snappiness really there? how does it compare to OS9 (if you've been able to use it on the same comp)

20. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I can answer some of that...

1. Yes. Type a word in it, and everything in that directory is searched. Eg, if you're at your pictures directory, it only searches your pictures. It's very quick. Sherlock has nothing to do with it. Command-F doesn't even bring up Sherlock any more.

2. Not sure, it's not in front of me now, so I can't test.

3. Yes. Snappy snappy snappy. OS 9 quick in just about everything. I'm running a 933/512.

Still lots of glaring bugs, but sooooo much potential. And this is Apple, so I expect nothing but the best when it is released.

21. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

2) Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean making a selection rectangle to drag? or Do you mean the cursor turns into a gloved hand or something?

3) Depends on your machine. On lower-end machines I don't think it will ever be as fast as 9. period.

But on the higher-end macs Jaguar definitely comes close since these are Apple's target machines. It will truly be amazing when bloated Aqua can compete with the speed of humble 9. This will probably only be realized when they're whole line is as fast or faster than the DP Gig QS.

22. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Hi

I dont know if you guys are gonna think I am a totally freak, but I have iChat seperately from Jaguar, any way I can use it in x.1

23. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: Hi

I have said it before, iChat is nothing special. Compared to Adium it's trash, IMO. X doesn't need anymore bloat. Same goes for inkwell, just useless (to most) garbage.

But the rest of Jaguar makes my computer feel like a DP gig does in 10.1.x No joke. And it can only get better. :)

24. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i completely disagree... as a newton user, i find it very accurate and a viable alternative to typing, etc. -- leading into the fact that i believe that inkwell will be very useful to many -- a quick way to input data, easily.

in addition, i can see it useful to people that like to draft on paper -- just being able to write then theyll type up their stuff later.

i think that a lot of us are so used to typing we dont see the advantages in actually being able to write.. but i also think that a lotta lower level users may appreciate inkwell.

25. swahilibill macrumors 6502

I'm clueless, whats adium, and where can I get it?