Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
well you should be able to get Adium from versiontracker.com. it's just a program sort of like AIM. you can use your AIM account, but Adium is supposed to use way less system resources than AIM. it's pretty cool.

i was just going to say how much i'm looking forward to iChat, then someone comes along and says how bloated it is? it looks awesome to me, whats wrong with it?

i was also wondering if anyone could tell me if you can use AIM accounts with iChat? or do you have to have a completely seperate account just for iChat?

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
~Beej

OS9 snappiness in OSX, is that what your saying < jumping up and sideways >
What kind of machine are you running it on?

Questions~

Resize windows -FAST?
Help files -Fast?
text files -Fast?
Scrolling - Fast?
Screen draws and browser page redraws - Fast?

Puhlease I wanna know!

Like and MPG window resizeed while running. _ fast??

OS9 fast, you trying to turn me on?

void

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2002
Not here
when i try and install it, it says restart and then when i restart, nothing comes up. and also, where can i get iChat for X.1?

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
vjv, you need to go through disk copy>burn image to the cd, not just drop and drag, happened to me too. Make sure you partition or use a test, because it is just not stable enough for all the time use, tried.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Originally posted by mc68k

2) Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean making a selection rectangle to drag? or Do you mean the cursor turns into a gloved hand or something?

gloved hand ya. I *LOVED* that feature in IE. its like having a scroll wheel without having one...i've got a scroll wheel on my pc and I'd honestly rate the gloved hand just as well

1. Yes. Type a word in it, and everything in that directory is searched. Eg, if you're at your pictures directory, it only searches your pictures. It's very quick. Sherlock has nothing to do with it. Command-F doesn't even bring up Sherlock any more.

a) what does command-F bring up then?
b) does the searchbox work if you bring up the 'show drives' window (in other words, will it seach all the directories up from root that way)?

thanks guys :D :D

now i _can't_ wait for jaguar :D :D

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
The screen grabs in PDF format: can you enlarge them, and still have them look good to a point, or are they pixilated like with bitmap images?

So far, everything looks good. Just one question with iChat, and the mac.com instant messaging... Can you IM people with AOL at all? Many of my pee-cee friends use AOL, and I want to be able to talk with them using my mac.com account...

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Oh yeah, and one more thing... Did Watson ever have the ability to check for packages being delivered? That's a cool feature, instead of having to go to the company's website. Does anybody know which companies it will search for? (FedEx, UPS, Airborne Express, etc...)

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
would iChat be compatible with msn?
I've got a lot of friends whom use msn.
I hate M$, so I want to use iChat, and chat with them.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Choppaface
gloved hand ya.
Sorry, no gloved hand like in IE.
a) what does command-F bring up then?
It brings up a window that is reminiscent of pre-sherlock days *sigh*. Here is a screen grab comparing the basic find function on system 7.5 on my performa to 10.2. Looks mighty similar IMO. I'm glad that they figured out that not everyone wants to use a bloated mega-app to do basic searching.

I used to replace (with a hack) Sherlock with Easy Find that comes with Norton Utils. Guess I won't have to hack find anymore, since they finally got it right. :)

Attachments

• compare..jpg
    compare..jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 178

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Choppaface
b) does the searchbox work if you bring up the 'show drives' window (in other words, will it seach all the directories up from root that way)?
Here's a screenshot from bf and after a search from the root directory level. Doing it this way was very fast and recursively searched through all the subdirectories.

And there's a little something extra thrown into the collage as well. :D

Attachments

• collage.gif
    collage.gif
    52 KB · Views: 161

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
It looks to me like they tweaked the UI. That, or the PDF screen shot thing changes the way the screenshots look. The buttons look crisper, and higher quality than the ones in X.I.V. They actually seem to look better, like they're more clear and in focus. It's weird, they just look different.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
That's It! The Aqua stuff looks a little more realistic, or at least from the screen shots in this thread...

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
That's It! The Aqua stuff looks a little more realistic, or at least from the screen shots in this thread...

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by G4scott
That was the first thing I noticed— the buttons are sharper. They almost have a distinct bezel versus a fuzzy blah edge. I could make a thread unto itself for all of the new features, but siffice it to say, we won't be dissapointed come the end of the summer.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Jaguar and quartz extreme

Originally posted by kansaigaijin
maybe Mc68k knows, will PCI video cards run quartz extreme in older non-agp Macs or clones?
Yes I do, and the answer is no. Not even the Radeon 7000. But it's all good since I'm running 10.2 on my Yosemite Oc'd to 500 w/1GB RAM, and let me tell you it runs about as fast as 10.1.x on a DP Gig QS. No joke. They really improved it.

QE is really just for newer macs so that people can justify spending a couple grand or more for a extra snappy feel to their OS.

I was very pissed when I heard about QE and thought that I'd be screwed, but the whole OS is a lot faster, so I can't complain. I have yet to test out QE on a QS but maybe I will tomorrow.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
Sherlock 3 wasn't included

What wall paper does it come with, I saw a cool Jaguar wall paper I wonder if it has new wp. Also what does the search window look like. Is sherlock 3 on it?

i have the latest jaguar released... if anyone wants to see Sherlock 3, i can post some pics..

Sherlock in general, as most have said, is very buggy and a lot of things are either not implemented at all -- or implemented in weird ways...

for instance, if you use the "Map" part of it, it will create directions based on some really weird location in california -- not cupertino...

i think its kinda an inside joke or sumthing.. but once again, if you're still inetested i can post some pics..

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by firewire2001
i have the latest jaguar released... if anyone wants to see Sherlock 3, i can post some pics..
Which biuld? I have 6c75 and my Sherlock crashes out every time that I open it.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
Which biuld? I have 6c75 and my Sherlock crashes out every time that I open it.

im not chure.. ill have to check tomorrow since i dont have my FW HD now... but it might be 6C75 -- i may not even have the latest build -- i got it just last week though (just a day or two after it was released)..

however, Sherlock will either crash out when i open it or give me an error when i dont have an internet connection .. that may be your problem..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.