Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skaught

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
My G5 arrived on Wednesday and I'm as happy as someone who is really happy. I've been using a G3 for the past 3-4 years with OS9, so this is my first real experience with OSX.

With the G3, I connected to the Internet through a Linksys router, then to my RR cable modem. It works fine. However, when I try to hook this thing up to my G5, it doesn't work. When I bypass the router, I get online just fine, but it won't connect through the router. When I hook it all back up to the G3, the router works. I've tried to make the TCP/IP settings on the G5 match what I have on the G3, but it won't work. The Linksys didn't come with any Mac software, and I don't remember ever installing any on the G3.

Should the G5 work in the same manner as the G3? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Scott

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
DHCP???

Are you using DHCP or is the router assigning a particular IP address?

If you turn on DHCP, the G5 will "find" it and you should be all set. I assume you picked the correct option for networking when you booted the G5 the first time...?

Skaught

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
Re: DHCP???

Yes, I'm using DHCP. It picks up the address but it won't connect to the web. I get an instant "can't find" message as soon as I start Safari. No looking around or waiting, just BAM with the message.

I don't remember what I told it when I first set it up. But it world when I pull the router out of the chain and go through the hub to the modem.

Thanks,

Scott

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: Re: DHCP???

Originally posted by Skaught
Yes, I'm using DHCP. It picks up the address but it won't connect to the web. I get an instant "can't find" message as soon as I start Safari. No looking around or waiting, just BAM with the message.

I don't remember what I told it when I first set it up. But it world when I pull the router out of the chain and go through the hub to the modem.

Thanks,

Scott

-Skaught

Make sure the router is set to DHCP upstream to the WAN as well. You can check the DHCP lease from your provider in the DHCP tab of the admin page.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
How about connecting both the G3 and G5 to your router. Test connectivity between the two systems. That will verify you have IP connectivity.

Also, make sure you are getting DNS entries from your router. Without DNS, you will get that message when you try to surf with names.

Skaught

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
However the router is set, it works with the G3 but not the G5. Is there a difference in how the G5 would connect?

Thanks everyone!

(I'm at work on a PC so I can't test things till I get home)

Scott

Skaught

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
I was able to access the router's setup screen on the G5, and I poked it around a bit, but I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Scott

anidel

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
Is that a wireless connection to the router or a wired one?
In the former case you need to upgrade the firmware version of your linksys in order to make it work with your new Airport Extreme (I suppose) card into your G5.
If not working try to lower the bandwith on the linksys from 11Mbps to 1-2Mbps. There's an issue between Apple Airport Exteme cards and some linksys wireless routers.

Anidel.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
If you are on DSL make sure you go into the Linksys admin area and reset MAC addresses. DSL companies seem to like limiting the number of concurrent MAC addresses they will allow.

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
I've had a lot of bad experiences with linksys wireless routers and all computers. It seriously got to the point where linksys tech support told me to return it and use a different product.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I love Linksys. WinXP, OSX and Linux machines all run great on my network. Including this laptop, which uses their 802.11b card.

Skaught

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
It's not a wireless router. I'm using a cable modem with it.

Does my G5 come equipped with an Airport card? I thought that was an extra?

Scott

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
With the G3, I connected to the Internet through a Linksys router, then to my RR cable modem. ...

It's not a wireless router. I'm using a cable modem with it.

Does my G5 come equipped with an Airport card? I thought that was an extra?

Scott

Um, is it a router or not? ;)

If you test connectivity between the two boxes, and it works, then proceed to make sure you do not have any ACL's by MAC address or something like that (although people don't normally do this except wireless).

I've got a Linksys Router w/wireless and haven't had a problem with any OS. It really seems like there is a config problem on the G5 itself. If you haven't changed many settings in the router, then most likely, the G5 config is the problem. I would ensure all DNS entries are populated. It seems to point to DNS, because you can web browse to the Linksys from the G5.

For a test, you can try to browse to an IP address when the G5 is connected. For example, type any one of the following IP's to get http://www.yahoo.com:

216.109.118.69, 216.109.118.71, 216.109.118.76, 216.109.118.77, 216.109.118.78, 216.109.118.64, 216.109.118.66, 216.109.118.67

If any/all of those work, then the problem is DNS. If you open a terminal, type the following and post the output from each or PM me:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat /etc/nsswitch.conf

The post above about limiting MAC address won't apply to you if you are using default Linksys configs. Simply put, the MAC address the ISP sees is the same (the Linksys WAN MAC), no matter how many different systems you run behind the Linksys.

EDIT:

And, by the way, do NOT leave the password as 'admin' or leave the default wireless set to the default. This is a good way to let a hacker know what type of devices you are running. If they figure out it's a Linksys, the next thing they'll try is the default password.

charmsen

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2003
Trying to get my G3 to work with a Linksys Router

I am having a similar problem. I have a G3 Power Book with OSX 10.2 wired to a Linksys Router. I can not get it to see the router to save my life. I notice that when I use DHCP, by default my G3 shows a sub net of 255.255.0.0, while my router is set to 255.255.255.0. I would change the router to match the G3, however, the router only lets you change the sub net to about 10 different predesignated sub nets, non of which match the G3. Could this sub net thing be my problem?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=69

this article details how setup your router with a specific isp.

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/03/04/17/2013204.shtml?tid=177&tid=179

this might be helpful too.

the first article should solve any problems. just a note remember that sometimes your MAC address of your router maybe have to registered with your isp, so MAC address cloning maybe needed or you just change the MAC address you have registered.
http://www.linksys.com/support/images/befsrmacad.pdf

FYI MAC address is "MAC Address is a unique 48-bit number assigned to each Ethernet network adapter and maintained by the IEEE"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.