OSX and Avantgo blues...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by artfan1, Aug 28, 2003.

1. artfan1 macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2003
    Ok, so we can't use Avantgo with our Palm in OSX.
    And I can't seem to get VPC to sync with my Palm.

All I really want is to be able to download a TV schedule onto my Palm.

Any other options out there? TVGuide.com and Yahoo.com both use Avantgo.

2. mstecker macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    Try Vindigo

While AvantGo may not have an OSX conduit, Vindigo does.

And while you can't get your TV listings from Vindigo, it's a little known (but almost true) fact that the Vindigo and AvantGo conduits were both based on the same formerly-open "MAL" protocol. Over time, they have diverged quite a bit, but the last time I checked, you could still use the AvantGo conduit to sync Vindigo and vice-versa.

So, what you'd do is this: Install the free trial version of Vindigo, and get the OSX conduit installed. Go into the advanced preferences for the conduit and there's a place to put in a server name. Tell it about the AvantGo server. I think it's just at www.avantgo.com. Sync and see if it works.

Your mileage may vary on this. As I said, the two implemetations are likely continuing to diverge with each release. While this still worked a few months ago, it may no longer work today.

It's pretty lame that AvantGo hasn't come out with a native conduit if that is in fact the case. I know exactly how much work it'd be to port it to OSX and it's not very much.