OSX and JBOD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bob5820, Nov 22, 2006.

1. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I've been thinking of setting up an external enclosure for back up purposes. I was thinking of getting a 2 drive enclosure and setting up a concatinated volume. My understanding was that unlike RAID 0 the loss of one drive would still leave the data intact on the other drive. However I read that this is not true with Apples way of doing it. With Apples implementaion of JBOD if one disk goes down you lose the entire volume. I'm not concerned with the loss of performance compared to RAID 0 as I will only be using the external for back up purposes. I'd like to be able to span 2 disks into a single volume, but not if it means lossing one disk means I lose all my data.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You lose everything, but that is almost expected since it is likely 2 drives one file catalog.

Take out one drive and the entire file catalog crumbles, even if the good drive is the one with the catalog.

Likely a limitation of HFS+, which is quite old these days.

3. EMKoper macrumors regular

EMKoper

What enclosures are you considering? I am looking for a similar thing... but swaying toward a four drive enclosure (leave room for some growth) assuming I don't need to have four drives right off the bat... I have focused on a few from Cool Drives.

I can verify that is the way Apple groups volumes... I tried removing one drive from my set of two where I keep all my videos and neither of the drives worked in any way stand-alone. In the future, I plan on keeping them just as individual volumes.

4. bob5820 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I've mainly been looking at the OWC Mercury Elite Pro and the MiniG, but the MiniG is propably more then I want to spend. Since spanning no longer looks to be a good option I'm playing withthe idea of getting the single drive Mercury Elite. Suposedly they can be stacked, though I'm mot sure this means they can be daisy chained.