OSX Applications keep on crashing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by karlakr8, Apr 7, 2004.

1. karlakr8 macrumors newbie

My OSX applications do not respond. Only after restarting the computter at last 3 times they would work. Especially Safari and Mail and Text edit don't work well. I already repaired disk permissions but since the latets update of Panther my disk utility application keeps on crashing too. What can I do? I am not very keen on renstalling the whple system from scratch since I have just done this about 6 weeks ago.

2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

How about:

What are the detailed specs of your system? Install anything new recently, software or hardware? Where do you keep your machine set up? Any spills, bumps, drops, knocks, shocks, surges, etc?

What does the console say? You can find it in /Applications/Utilities/. Use it to check both the console.log, the system.log, and the crash logs listed under the ~/Library/CrashReporter/ group when you click the 'Logs' button.

Is your machine a single user setup? Can you create a new user and see what happens when you log in as the new user?

3. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

hmmm.... to me it sounds like one of these two things:

1. have you installed any RAM in it recently? Bad RAM is commonly the problem.
    or​
    2. Your OS X installation is corrupted. In this case try reinstalling Panther.

Another thing you can try that might help is zapping the PRAM. To do this, restart and hold down Apple-P-R until you hear the Mac startup sound four times.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Here's another possibility:
    3. Your PMU (power management unit) settings are corrupted. If this is the case the PMU needs to be reset. I know that PowerBook and iBook PMUs can be reset through software (look on the Apple site); iMac and PowerMac PMUs can only be reset by opening the computer (I had the representatives at my local Apple Store do this for me); I'm not sure which group the eMac falls in.

5. karlakr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

i actually have installed additional memory. what is "bad RAM"? And hwo could I solve this problem?

6. karlakr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got the latest update of Panther. I had Norton Utilities installed which made some problems. after removing it from my computer it at least runs again.
    the crash repoprts always say EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xf4fdf525
    . Unfortunately I do not know much about operating systems...

I have also got an external firewire drive which i heard can cause problems. anyway when it's not plugged in it doesn't make any change.

here some more reports. I hope you can help me i really don't understand what this is about:
    kernel: ATY,Rage128P2ks: vram [96000000:01000000]
    Apr 11 11:18:35 localhost SystemStarter: The "HasShadow" window property is obsolete. Use CGSSetWindowShadowAndRimParameters(cid, wid, 0.0,0.0, 0,0, CGSNoShadowStyle) to turn off the window shadow instead. Set a break-point on CGSLogMessage to find out where this property is set.
    localhost syslogd: /dev/console: Input/output error
    localhost init: kernel security level changed from 0 to 1
    localhost SystemStarter: File Deletion Tracking (179) did not complete successfully.
    localhost SystemStarter: Norton Volume Assist (178) did not complete successfully.
    localhost loginwindow[192]: Sent launch request message to DirectoryService mach_init port
    localhost kernel: disk1s10: I/O error.
    localhost SystemStarter: - execution of Startup script failed

7. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

The above is pretty much standard for the MacOS X startup procedure. Not too much to worry about there.

This, however, might be some cause for concern:

It sounds like even though you think you removed Norton Utilities, it still has some components installed. File Deletion Tracking and Norton Volume Assist are launched at boot time from scripts located in the /Library/StartupItems folder. Inside this folder are subfolders which contain scripts and information files which the SystemStarter uses to load services at boot time. Nothing in this folder is absolutely essential to the system, all of those startup scripts are located in /System/Library/StartupItems, and are separated for good reason. You can just delete any startup items you find in /Library/StartupItems that you feel you do not need. You should probably remove File Deletion Tracking and Norton Volume Assist to begin with.

The line localhost kernel: disk1s10: I/O error. also has me thinking. That could just be a generic error associated with the failure to run the Norton Startup items, but it could be more insidious. Open up a terminal window (you can find Terminal.app in the Utilities folders inside the Applications folder at the top level of your startup disk). At the prompt that appears in the terminal window, type the following:

df -k

and hit enter. You should see something that looks like this:

Code:
    Filesystem                              1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s9                             39066000 14625180 24184820    38%    /
    devfs                                          93       93        0   100%    /dev
    fdesc                                           1        1        0   100%    /dev
    <volfs>                                       512      512        0   100%    /.vol
    automount -nsl [335]                            0        0        0   100%    /Network
    automount -fstab [338]                          0        0        0   100%    /automount/Servers
    automount -static [338]                         0        0        0   100%    /automount/static
    afp_0TT6CG0TShSm0TQ51e0Sv5Qp-1.2d000003 156159792 66816612 89343180    43%    /Volumes/esheep
    Looking at the Filesystem column of the output, find /dev/disk1s10 and look to see what the corrosponding entry under the Mounted on column is. I'd be interested in knowing this.

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Remember to avoid installing anything called "Norton" on your Mac. They usually do more harm than good.

9. karlakr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

this is what my terminal says:
    dev/disk0s9 40007664 15573540 24178124 39% /
    /dev/disk1s10 78011632 42411116 35600516 54% /Volumes/karl 1

karl 1 is my firewire drive. what does dev disk 9 and 10 mean?