OSX as simple FTP Server

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Chrisnorth, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Chrisnorth macrumors member

Now according to everything I've read, it's supposed to be a simple matter to set up OSX (Jaguar) to run a simple FTP server. However, the reality seems to be different.

Here's what I did:

1) created a new user account and password that I could pass along to family and friends wanted to exchange files using ftp.

2) Went to System Preferences, opened the Sharing dialog and turned on ftp access.

3) Using the Network Utility, I discovered and recorded my IP Address.

4) Started a linux machine I own, opened a Konsole window and ftp'd to the Mac's IP. Enetered the new user name and password to log on. So far, so good. I received a welcome message that read "Welcome to Darwin!" etc..

5) (now everything falls apart) as soon as I send any kind of command such as "ls" to list files, I get a message that reads "Entering Passive Mode" at which time everything stops and after a few minutes I get "ftp: connect: Connection timed out" This happens every time no matter what cammand I try to use, even a simple change directory command. Trying to connect using an ftp client from Windows 2000 results in similar problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions? What's up with this? I've thought of installing a more robust ftp server such as proftpd, but I really don't need that level of performance. :confused:

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Is there any kind of firewall running on either of the machines? On your Linux machine, try turning passive mode off with the "passive" command in the ftp client. Or try a different FTP client...

3. Chrisnorth thread starter macrumors member

thanks alex_ant

Firewalls shouldn't be an issue. I'm using OSX's built in firewall, and I checked to ensure that it is allowing access to ports 20 and 21 for ftp. The Linux box is similarly configured. I'm susing CA EZ Armor on the Win2K machine and I checked the settings before trying the ftp thing.

I will give your suggestion about turning off the passive mode a try. Thanks for the suggestions.
    :) :)

4. Chrisnorth thread starter macrumors member

Hah! That worked like a charm; an obvious solution that I really should have thought of. Thanks again.