Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nja247

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
UK
I don't see this happening until after the summer MB + nano promotion ends. they want to unload as many as they can before an update

I dunno, I believe the new iPods would be to replace the current "video ipods" and not the nano's. So I don't think that would make a difference.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
i just want this to come true. new iPods in august!

right now i have a 2GB nano that only holds a fraction of my library and my bday just passed so i have plenty of spending money.

iPod please!!!:apple::D

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
and to follow up -

the next iPod won't have WiFi internet like browsing. it would only be there for exchanging content or buying from the iTunes store. maybe youtube... but definitely not full browsing - it would be too much of a PDA like the iPhone.

nja247

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
UK
and to follow up -

the next iPod won't have WiFi internet like browsing. it would only be there for exchanging content or buying from the iTunes store. maybe youtube... but definitely not full browsing - it would be too much of a PDA like the iPhone.

If it had WiFi capability, which was limited in any capacity, I can assure you that there would be a huge effort to crack it wide open. I personally don't foresee WiFi because it'd just drive up the price. If you want internet, get the iPhone.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
If you think that the Ipod is going to have web browsing capabilities or other iPhone-like features other than a refreshed media player interface with touch controls, you're smoking crack. There's no way they'd put the 620mhz iPhone processor into an iPod, it's worth too much. With the insane cost of the (hoped for) 120GB iPod hard drive, it'd be like 800 bucks. I don't believe any of that.

If they're gonna have functionality like the iphone (multitouch, media handling etc) then they're going to need that power as it's running OSX. In any case economies of scale always kick in for these things (as the development cost s amortised across more devices).

I agree the cost is something they need to keep an eye on however.

mudaudio

macrumors member
May 15, 2007
I think it will have wifi. But the main use of wifi will be to share your content with other 6g ipod users, itunes and the Apple TV. Plus you will be able to watch youtube and listen to internet radio when near a wifi hotspot.

I agree with this.

I think the new iPod will have wifi, but will mimic Apple TV, in that it will allow content streaming across devices, youTube access etc.

Losing the PIM/Internet/comms features, but enabling media streaming ala Apple TV will differentiate from the iPhone, offer a complete 'multimedia' experience (as apposed to communications) - and potentially allow cross selling of the Apple TV as people become familiar with its features and ease of use... If Apple can mimic the iPod/Mac halo effect in this way then Apple TV may beging to get some grounding in the market.

That would be my strategy anyway. Obvious and fair differentiation between iPod/iPhone, with the added benefits of synergy with Apple TV and Front row etc.

ps. I'm sure the hackers would have a field day cracking OS X and installing full functionality etc. but that's another story!

OldTimey

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
iphone=ibore indeed.

apple...we need updated versions of Logic, iLife, Aperture...get Leopard out the door on time...

sure macs and ipods are cool...but i dont use a mac because it looks cool, i use it cause it runs OSX and the software i like to use...

it's about the software! c'mon, make some more cool software!

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
New ipods with the release of the new iMac? Well if the iMac is gunna be as different as they say, i think not.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Am I the only one that thinks a touch screen iPod is a step backward when your current iPod has probably one of the best controls ever on an electronic device, the click wheel!

I actually wish that the iPhone had a small click wheel a the bottom in addition to the touch screen.

what a shame - I guess people dont remember what a pain in the ass the 3g iPods were with those touch button controls. I couldnt use it while snowboarding, I would accidentaly tap pause instead of skip forward when using it in the car, it was terrible.

and yes I do have an iPhone and love the multi-touch but please keep the click wheel on the iPod.

I strongly disagree - In my opinion, the 3rd generation was the best style iPod they made. I've been holding on to mine becasue I don't like the current click wheel. It's always felt like a step backwards to me...

OldTimey

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
If it had WiFi capability, which was limited in any capacity, I can assure you that there would be a huge effort to crack it wide open. I personally don't foresee WiFi because it'd just drive up the price. If you want internet, get the iPhone.

well id consider it, but i dont want to use the iphone as a phone...650+2000 in contract fees?

PSP has wifi, a larger, brighter screen than ipod, plays games, plays music, video, internet browser...for $169. yea i know it's sony, doesnt have multitouch blah blah blah, but point is, it shouldnt be hard for apple to turn a profit on a 399 80GB wifi ipod.

don't think theyll do it though.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I think it will have wifi. But the main use of wifi will be to share your content with other 6g ipod users, itunes and the Apple TV. Plus you will be able to watch youtube and listen to internet radio when near a wifi hotspot.

Plus in early 2008, UK users will be able to view BBC programmes on the thing with the iPlayer (they are currently developing it for many different platforms), although it will be Windows XP only at first. It has been hinted at that the iPhone is one of those platforms, so as long as the new iPod has wifi, it should be able to do it too.

iPlayer relies upon micrsoft formats + DRM

Mac development will be evaluated every 6 months.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6236612.stm

mudaudio

macrumors member
May 15, 2007
it's about the software! c'mon, make some more cool software!

To me, this argument is like saying... C'mon Virgin, stop messing about with broadband internet services and start making my trains run on time. Virgin do both, but they are distinct business units.

Ok so OS X was delayed by iPhone, I'll give you that... But only because they were developing software.

Second, many believe OSX for iPhone to be the most revolutionary software for mobile devices ever created, stomping on Windows Mobile and the crappy Symbiam OS.

As the lines between computing and mobile devices become eve more blurred, an OS capable of dominating both areas is surely the 'coolest' software I've seen in a while.

:)

cliffjumper68

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2005
Castle Rock, Colorado
Am I the only one that thinks a touch screen iPod is a step backward when your current iPod has probably one of the best controls ever on an electronic device, the click wheel!

I actually wish that the iPhone had a small click wheel a the bottom in addition to the touch screen.

what a shame - I guess people dont remember what a pain in the ass the 3g iPods were with those touch button controls. I couldnt use it while snowboarding, I would accidentaly tap pause instead of skip forward when using it in the car, it was terrible.

and yes I do have an iPhone and love the multi-touch but please keep the click wheel on the iPod.

I have really enjoyed the click wheel interface as well, but the last generation wheel was a step backwards. My 4th gen ipod had a concave convex setup that made it easy to find and orient on by feel. My 5th gen video ipod is completely flat which makes it more difficult to distinguish where your thumb is. I could see that being an issue with a touch display as well.

OldTimey

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
oh and as for cannibalization, if anything is cannibalizing anything, it's the iphone on ipod sales.

what's better for apple, 12,000,000 iphones sold worldwide , and 50,000,000 ipods, or potentially 10,000,000 iphones and 60,000,000 ipods (if they introduced a wifi version)? (obviously this is worse for the carriers, which is why they won't do it)

yes, i KNOW this logic is flawed, there is no proof that a wifi ipod would only dip into iphone sales by a small amount and boost ipod sales by a huge number...but there isn't any proof as to the contrary soooooooooooo

it's all speculation.

OldTimey

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
To me, this argument is like saying... C'mon Virgin, stop messing about with broadband internet services and start making my trains run on time. Virgin do both, but they are distinct business units.

Ok so OS X was delayed by iPhone, I'll give you that... But only because they were developing software.

Second, many believe OSX for iPhone to be the most revolutionary software for mobile devices ever created, stomping on Windows Mobile and the crappy Symbiam OS.

As the lines between computing and mobile devices become eve more blurred, an OS capable of dominating both areas is surely the 'coolest' software I've seen in a while.

:)

its not an argument. iphone is boring to me. while it is a fascinating product, and the os is a marvel for mobile devices...it well, you said it, delayed leopard, and most likely other unannounced updates and apps, that run on full version macs.

so osx on iphone is a revolutionary product...ok, if so, why can't devs make applications for it? it is amazing, a step forward, but pretty small scale compared to OSX for macs, and not terribly useful. Get final cut to run on an iphone, and then ill be impressed.

CommodityFetish

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Syracuse, NY
OS X on iPod - for what?

don't know why I didn't think of this before, but...

what are they going to use OS X for on an ipod, unless they are adding some new features not currently on the ipod? Maybe just games? But perhaps wi-fi and other iphone apps?

I hope so.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
i just want this to come true. new iPods in august!

Well, if that contract was 'just awarded', you're not going to see anything for months. Any new ipod that would come out in august would be in full production as we speak to make an August delivery.

mwxiao

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
CT
August makes much more sense. The Macworld rumor just doesn't fit Apple's MO of carpet bombing consumer gear for XMAS.

I just checked MR's buyer's guide. None of the ipod or mac was released in August.

"Buy a MAC and get an ipod nano" lasts unitl mid sept., no new things will be released unitl this propomotion is over.

August makes no sense.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
And those early iPhone adopters who are afraid of being left behind when the iPhone moves to AT&T 3G network, should not worry either. The iPhone will support 3G with a software patch once AT&T is ready, which may happen at the same time that iPhone is launched in Europe.
QUOTE]

The iPhone doesn't contain a 3G radio, therefore it's impossible to enable 3G via a software patch.

This is true. Steve said in an interview that one of the reasons they didn't go with 3G is that the reciever was too big and they did not want to make the iPhone any larger but when the reciever gets smaller, in time they may implement it in later versions.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
oh god if it has wifi + osx, just put it in my mouth and let me suck on it

Ewww? That just dun sound right :eek:

Anyway, we all know the iPod has to get a refresh at some point. And its definitely gonna be an improvement over the current gen. Touch screen, cover flow and some other goodies? Lets just hope its sooner rather than later- I'm willing to bet its this holiday season :apple:

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
DigiTimes claims that/QUOTE]

Digitimes has been so wrong so often, I am convinced this is Steve Job's blog entrapment source. This source is only all the things that are never going to happen, and I am not sure why any post that uses DigiTimes is given front page news anymore. What other than always being wrong should qualify you for Page 2???

cliffjumper68

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2005
Castle Rock, Colorado
I just checked MR's buyer's guide. None of the ipod or mac was released in August.

"Buy a MAC and get an ipod nano" lasts unitl mid sept., no new things will be released unitl this propomotion is over.

August makes no sense.

That would place a update in the Sept./Oct. time frame which would help to build holiday sales and coincide with the release of Leopard. One of the posts on Hackintosh was from a person who claimed to be a "Apple internal programmer" who said that no meaningful access to the iphone would take place until leopard was released. If there is cross platform compatibility between the OSX version of the iphone and Leopard, then it would make since that any new ipod built on the same mobile OSX would also require leopard. That is assuming of course that the post actually was from someone on the apple team.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
My guess is end of October in a special event they will announce the new iPod line.
That way the iPhone news will start to become ordinary and Apple will take advantage of Xmas season shopping.

I believe the iPod 6g will have:
80gig / 120gig $299 / $399
widescreen, touchscreen
wi-fi
everything like the iPhone without the phone.

Bring it on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.