Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
ariza910 said:
Am I the only one that thinks a touch screen iPod is a step backward when your current iPod has probably one of the best controls ever on an electronic device, the click wheel!

I actually wish that the iPhone had a small click wheel a the bottom in addition to the touch screen.

what a shame - I guess people dont remember what a pain in the ass the 3g iPods were with those touch button controls. I couldnt use it while snowboarding, I would accidentaly tap pause instead of skip forward when using it in the car, it was terrible.

and yes I do have an iPhone and love the multi-touch but please keep the click wheel on the iPod.

I have really enjoyed the click wheel interface as well, but the last generation wheel was a step backwards. My 4th gen ipod had a concave convex setup that made it easy to find and orient on by feel. My 5th gen video ipod is completely flat which makes it more difficult to distinguish where your thumb is. I could see that being an issue with a touch display as well.

exactly - the tactile feel is very important in an iPod - While Apple can probably get away with all touch screen on something like the iPhone I think the novelty will wear off very quickly on a music/video player like the iPod

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
An iPod with two or three capacities, starting at 30GB, 60GB & 80GB.
It'd be widescreen, OSX based and using multi-touch like the iPhone.
It'd also have WiFi and Safari. Of course, an improved Calendar that syncs with iCal (or Outlook), it also syncs your pictures with iPhoto (or My Pictures in XP)...
I'd be all over that!

edgeman

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4)

Macrumors said:

DigiTimes claims that Wintek has been given the contract award for producing the the panels of Apples upcoming iPod refresh, which DigiTimes notes will be in August. The touch screens will reportedly be similar to the iPhone's touch screen.

Steve Jobs made comments during a town hall meeting of Apple Employees that the Mac OS X group was working on unreleased iPods as well as the desktop OS and iPhone OS. Analyst Gene Munster recently chimed in, stating he believed that the updated iPods would come by Macworld 2008.

Article Link

Well seems to me that Apple is in the process of buying lots of screens the more to build iPods, iPhones the better, also after selling 700,000 iPhones on a weekend in the US only and no where else means that iPod sales would be through the roof in Canada, UK, Europe, Australia, Pacific Rim countries and anywhere where NO iPhones are able to being sold .... Steve's NO Dummy so I predict that the NEW iPods will be there for the X-Mas Season, with Bluetooth built in & perhaps a Camera, can you say Digital Video as well as Digital Pictures and perhaps Maybe Sattelite Music being sold through the Apple Store as they have just about every artist there already.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
I'm guessing it's too early.. If they released it now, it would cannibalize the iPhone sales.

I'm getting tired of that argument... What does it matter if one hi-margin product cannibalizes sales of another product from the same company? And would it really? Last time I checked, iPhone is a phone, whereas iPod is not. If you want an iPod, why get an iPhone? If you want a phone, you need to buy the iPhone, iPod is not an alternative. If you want a hi-capacity mediaplayer, you need the iPod, iPhone is not an alternative.

And why is everyone concerned about iPod cannibalizing sales of iPhones, but no-one is concered about iPhone cannibalizing iPods?

(or, it would have to not incorporate stuff like notes, web-browsing and stuff. Just be a plain iPod.

It would have the stuff current iPod has, plus bigger screen, new UI and maybe Bluetooth and some other new miscellianeous new features. Of course it would also have more storage-space.

But why produce such an expensive iPod if nothing is gained apart from CoverFlow?

Huh? Bigger screen, kick-ass UI, better design, more features (newer iPods have always had more features than the ones before it). People have kept on rebuying iPods, even though the newer models only offer better screen, more storage and smaller size. And that looks to continue.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Anyone else think it will be a portable :apple:TV with a touch screen.

Makes kinda sense. They can use the same OS plug-ins. I am just a little unsure whether or not it will have wi-fi......

hmmmmm

Well if it didn't have Wifi it would hardly be a mini :apple:TV.

The idea of streaming your music to your iPod like an :apple:TV, only without wifi is...well...not really possible at all.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
though the iphone and touchscreen ipod would seem to have many similar features, i don't think they will compete against one another as much as people think. while the iphone has great ipod capabilities, it's still limited in many ways because of its small storage capabilities and battery performance constraints. while battery life may be good for smartphones, it sucks as a music/video device. and i'd still want the iphone to surf the web, do email, make calls, etc. now, if the iphone had a 40GB hard drive and battery life were improved just a bit more, then it would be a harder sell on the widescreen ipod.

a widescreen touchscreen ipod with 120GB hard drive for $400? count me in...

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
August...thank God if it's true...I need a commute media device, and the 5.5G doesn't cut it nearly as well as the purported 6G would.

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal

The idea of streaming your music to your iPod like an :apple:TV, only without wifi is...well...not really possible at all.

I would love to see a mini :apple:TV that can access all the content on my Apple TV over WiFi - sort of like a slingbox

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I think apple will wait a little while longer for ipod widescreen...Christmas or later as others have said so as to not cannibalize iphone sales, but also to wait for develpoment of a higer res screen...640x360 perhaps? thee's no way to do anything higher at 160ppi IMHO, which they could still fit into the same form factor when they get rid of all the stuff taking up the top and botum of the iphone.

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006

I'm not sure it would have wifi, but it could have the same interface with touch controls couldn't it?

although if it has a youtube area like the :apple:tv then i guess it would have to, but even still the platform could just be a combo iPod/:apple:tv and sync it like the iPods, no streaming

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
So if the new ipods do the same thing as the current ipods (play music, pictures, movies) just in a different form factor, why would you need OSX on them? What does adding OSX bring?

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
So if the new ipods do the same thing as the current ipods (play music, pictures, movies) just in a different form factor, why would you need OSX on them? What does adding OSX bring?

agreed. iPods can do a lot already, i'm only really looking for a bigger screen, cover flow, and multi-touch....

where does OSX come in?

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
agreed. iPods can do a lot already, i'm only really looking for a bigger screen, cover flow, and multi-touch....

where does OSX come in?

Multitouch is only on OSX?

I'd be very surprised if they don't have the YouTube support. I'd say to have that you'll need wifi and OSX follows from that.

Also why would apple go to the lengths they have to use OSX on the iphone if that is the only device that they use it on. They've delayed their major OS update for this I'd say they'd want to get the most out of it.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
The widescreen is pretty much a definite requirement of the next iPod as well as increased storage.

It remains to be seen how good the touchscreen interface is at navigating 10000 or so songs. The scroll wheel does this really well, but since the iPhone is only 8GB max, I don't imagine anyone is really using it with that sort of number of songs.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I like the scroll wheel in the current iPod because I can pause, skip and adjust volume without looking.

That would probably be lost with a touchscreen....

Unless maybe they can do something like this:
One tap makes the music pause. Two finger tap (or maybe a double tap) causes it to skip the song. Sliding your finger adjusts the volume.

Hmm... maybe it's not that practical. But if they throw in an ambient light sensor (which also adjusts the screen brightness), it would know when it's in your pocket because of the darkness. And when it knows it's in your pocket, then those controls become available so you can do them anywhere on the screen.

Of course it could get tight in a pocket, so tapping may not be possible. But maybe they could be simple gestures instead.

Again, it would know when it's in your pocket. And if it has an accelerometer in it, it can know which way is "down" regardless of what orientation it's at inside your pocket. Though I'd imagine it's always going to be with the earphone jack pointing up.

ANYway.... so... simple gestures... sliding a finger changes volume, doing a circular motion can skip a song. Sliding two fingers pauses the song.

And... going back to the "it knows which way is down" thing, it can therefore determine if it's a clockwise or counter-clockwise motion you're making. So you can even skip backwards.

Or maybe the circular motion can be used to change volume, like the click wheel. And the sides of the screen closest to the edge of the iPod are reserved for "back" and "forward" and "pause" commands.

Maybe it's too complicated, but it's an idea! :)

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
It won't have wifi

No way, no how. It is not gonna have wifi. There is no reason for it to have wifi. It will not run the web, email or any other net utilities. If you want a device that does all that, it already exists, it's called the iPhone.

The next iPod will have full sized wide screen, multi touch interface, have coverflow, maybe run games, etc. The iPod moniker is always going to be for a media entertainment-only device, not an internet device. End of story.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
No way, no how. It is not gonna have wifi. There is no reason for it to have wifi. It will not run the web, email or any other net utilities. If you want a device that does all that, it already exists, it's called the iPhone.

The next iPod will have full sized wide screen, multi touch interface, have coverflow, maybe run games, etc. The iPod moniker is always going to be for a media entertainment-only device, not an internet device. End of story.

How can you be so certain? Know something we don't?

Personally I'm not sure, either way.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007

soooo....then why does the zune have wifi? its certainly not an internet communicator. bonjour music sharing, itunes, airtunes, airport express, future ipod hi-fi. music store, youtube - these are just a few reasons why the ipod COULD have wi-fi. none of these are internet communication uses.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
oh and as for cannibalization, if anything is cannibalizing anything, it's the iphone on ipod sales.

ITA. I have a 10Gb 3G iPod, and am definitely in the market for something new. I'd love more storage and video capability. But no way am I picking up a stopgap (well, if it can still be called that after a year) :rolleyes: :p 5.5G version after seeing the iPhone. I've been willing to wait ever since the MWSF keynote came out. And if Apple's hoping I'll get an iPhone in the meantime, that's not going to happen either - not when I'm with Verizon and needing more than 8Gb space. The longer the 6G takes, the longer I'm just holding on to my money.

Now, I agree a few months with the iPhone only is reasonable - those who are in a position to get it and impatient for the features will do so then. But not having the iPod line refreshed by late fall would be extremely short sighted of Apple I think (and I doubt will happen).

I'm also crossing fingers it has Wifi/Safari and will be annoyed if they leave it out for the sake of the iPhone (since it's not even an option for me)...but realistically I know I'd get it regardless. Grudgingly maybe but still. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.