osx calculator?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nosser, Mar 23, 2005.

1. nosser macrumors regular

Why does my calculator not show up? I purchased my 1.5 12" sd pb in feb but i don't think my calculator works. when I click on it, it shows up in the dock but there is nothing else on the screen. Should I take back to the apple store? Thanks for any help in advance.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm, that's strange.
    Is it showing up in the Dock and staying in the dock, or does it immediately disappear?
    Are any other applications behaving this way?

3. nosser thread starter macrumors regular

no just the calculator. oh and I'm running 10.3.8 if that matters

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You might want to try going into your /Users/[your_account]/Library/Preferences folder (visible in Finder by clicking on [your_account] in the Sidebar, then going to Library, then Preferences folders). Try moving the file com.apple.calculator.plist elsewhere, or renaming it, or deleting it - it stores (among other things) where on-screen your calculator is, so perhaps it is drawing it offscreen. Removing the file makes Calculator create a new one with the default values for location.

5. nosser thread starter macrumors regular

6. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I have this problem as well (seemed to start when I began using a dual monitor setup). I tried deleting the plist file, but unfortunately it didn't work in my case.

The work-around I have been using is going to the Calculator's View menu and selecting "Show Paper Tape." This makes both the paper tape and the calculator interface itself show up on my screen.

Don't know what's going on with my calc app.... hopefully an upgrade to Tiger will get rid of the problem!