Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kraut55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
iMac 5k, 10.11.3, Time Machine Off, TimeMachineEditor

I have a USB HDD dedicated only for my backups, nothing else. TimeMachineEditor has been set to: Interval, back up once per day, do not back up between 11pm and 8am. Time Machine is set to OFF (I assume the TimeMachineEditor does that).
For some reason OSX constantly accesses the Backup HDD. What could be the reason?
Thanks.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
iMac 5k, 10.11.3, Time Machine Off, TimeMachineEditor
I have a USB HDD dedicated only for my backups, nothing else. TimeMachineEditor has been set to: Interval, back up once per day, do not back up between 11pm and 8am. Time Machine is set to OFF (I assume the TimeMachineEditor does that).
For some reason OSX constantly accesses the Backup HDD. What could be the reason?
Thanks.
You are right that TimeMachineEditor turns Time Machine Off.

What are you seeing that indicates OS X is constantly accessing your Backup HDD?

My guess would be that the culprit is probably Spotlight constantly checking for changes to the Backup HDD. You could disable Spotlight from wanting to index your Backup HDD by setting System Preferences>Spotlight>Privacy and add the Backup HDD (+ button) to the "Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations:"

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
agree with CoastalOR
its trying to Index it.
but whether or not you really want to stop indexing it means that its index won't be current.

kraut55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Thanks for the fast reply. I have just excluded the HDD from Spotlight and I#ll watch what will be happening.

edit: That seems to have been the problem. Thank you again.

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.