OSX Coupons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by numbersyx, Nov 10, 2006.

1. numbersyx macrumors 65816

Sep 29, 2006
    With the prospect of Leopard looming in the Spring, does anyone know if Apple actually gives out coupons (giving a free update to Leopard) to those buying a Mac a short time before the release date? I know PC manufacturers are doing this with Vista and wondered if Apple had done it in the past with their previous releases.
  2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    I rmember getting one of those coupons when my family bought our first PC. It was a 90MHz Pentium I, we got the upgrade coupon to go from Windows 3.1 to 95. I remember how exciting it was...

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question just reminiscing.
  3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    When I bought my mini last year, 10.4 had just been released. For $10, I was able to fill out a form, mail it in, and get a copy of the DVD from Apple.

I'm not sure how far before it was released the date range for that deal lasted though.
  4. NJuul macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2006
    When Tiger was announced as shipping in april(?) 2005 people who bought macs between the announcement and the release of Tiger was able to buy Tiger for 10$. I think it was announced about 15 days prior to release.
    I don't remember how it was before that.
    It'll likely be the same with Lepard.
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I'm not sure... Tiger's release date was announced in Jan, but Tiger did not come out until April. I don't think it was that whole time period when people were getting $10 upgrades. I think it's for computers sold / delivered to customers after Tiger was officially available.

So, say April 30, 2007 is the release date of Leopard. Then if you go on May 1 and buy a Mac that's been sitting on the shelf at the Apple store, it will come with Tiger. But you will get an upgrade coupon, most likely....

But I'm not sure?
  6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Not quite. There is a time when normally pre-shipping that all Macs bought from will get free upgrades. This is normally very short (like 2 weeks). Until a ship date is announced there are no free upgrades. So at the very least any Mac bought before MWSF in January will NOT get free upgrades.