OSX Crap! Poll

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mymemory, Apr 10, 2002.

?

What do you rally think?

1. I like OSX a lot

25 vote(s)
    89.3%
  2. I like OS9 better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I use both because I like them equally

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. I will change to OSX if there is no other way to run

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

1st, I ask to every one to light a candle (at list in your mine, or a cigarret works too :D ) because tonight we may have a coup in my country and I do not want any inocent people dead this time. The last coup we had was 10 years ago and was conduce by our actual president, many inocent people died that time, most of them workers of the tv stations that were taken, that operation fail. Why things happend in a country? I will respond: an inmature population and lack of education. So, lets see how everything is gonna end up tomorrow thursday the 11th. I guess most of the population understud that they can not lead their responsability to the political partys.

2nd. About OSX, at first look, OSX didn't fill my espectations, I was looking for something more serious, not a desktop that looks like a play ground. Well, last week I decided to install it bacuse I heard I could download faster from hotline ( :D again). Well, the instalation process was tedious and I was not interested in having an account at apple.com. But the manipulation was not the problem, the problem was that after installed pitbull and hotline client, the explorer din't reconize the softwares. Usually I got to tracker-tracker.com and when I select the server any of the softwares open up by them selves.

So, what is the big deal about the OSX ? One giga byte of memory later and it is les compatible than OS 9.2?

That is one of the issues, the other one is that even the graphical interface is more graphical, it is not more friendly. I was expecting an interface that even my mom could used, but for get it, I preffer to teach my mom to get her mail in 9.

I know there is a UNIX shell and that I can run the DVD and other movies at same time but... OSX for me is a car that consume a gallon of gas each 500 miles, that looks like a Mc Laren F1 but the seats are too small and I need one key to open the door, another to run the car and the weel is on the other side and facing back.

I will wait for a better and more friendly version of OSX.

What is your trully experience with OSX and clasic?

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

You have to add the protocols into your Explorer preferences so it knows how to handle addresses that start with "hotline:"...

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    who cares about osx tonite

i think the main priority is the safety of you and your family. i hope the coup
    ( if it happens) brings some sort of political and economic stability to your country. as badly as our last election went, i can truly say i cannot imagine the sort of political turmoil your country has witnessed. and i knew that no matter who became president it wouldn't lead to virtually worthless currency.

i wish the best to you and i hope that you get out of your country soon--as you have wished for in your previous posts.

please keep us updated as to you and your country's well-being.

3rdpath

4. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Hi mymemory, I sincerly hope that things turn out OK for you and your people.
    Let's hope that someone with real intelligence ends up being president someone who can really make a differernce.(you? If your a mac user, IQ is more than OK;) )
    GOOD LUCK VENEZUELA, MY WISH FOR ALL OF YOU IS A SAFE ONE!

Further mymemory, I will be happy to give you some guidelines in using your OSX, when I know that everything OK for you all.
    First quick tips: is your source where you got the OS off a safe one? I had some problems with HL and C.
    What is the version? should be 10.1 at least (--> then you can update to the latest version)
    Not a life and death matter, but are your OS9 and OSX on the same partition? Installing 10.0 on the same partition did not work flawless for me (I read somewhere that 10.1 should not have that problem.)
    how many RAM, and How many available space on disc you have left?

I will stop here for now...
    We'll continue, when you are president ;)

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: OSX Vs OS9 Poll

Of course, I echo the sentiment that i hope everything works out in Venezuela. If it helps, I smoked a whole pack :\

The particular problem here isn't X's fault, it's BigRedH's... I can't make explorer open into hotline, even after repeatedly configuring it to launch it as a protocol helper. Blah.

Not that I want to, anymore. I hate hotline, too many hoops to jump through. Use it once in a while, but more out of desperation than anything.

As for the OS in general, I couldn't be happier, but I'm so enamored with Apple as to overlook any problems. I think they had a tough job to do, but they've done well so far, and I look forward to X growing (not more bloated tho!) and eventually blossoming into something that will shame all other OS's.

pnw

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It certainly puts things in perspective...

We worry about our president's IQ here in the US, while people worry about getting killed due to the actions of their goverment in other countries...

The world sure is a sad place sometimes...:(

At least I have my Mac to cheer me up!

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i love the look of OS X, although i've never used it, only seen it. i guess it wouldn't be rare to experience problems with it. it still has a few bugs in it, or does it? does OS X really have as many bugs as people are talking about? will 10.2 be radically different?

8. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

OS X all the way.

I don't even have OS 9 installed on my machine. I don't want to use it anymore. There was a time when I was dual booting between linux and Mac OS (Classic), now I get everything I need from OS X--no dual boot required.

And from a software developers standpoint, I don't see any reason to continue using OS 9. Everything you need in order to develop is there on OS X. Its the graphic designers, audiophiles, etc...they are the ones who still have an excuse. Everyone else should have all of the programs they need. Right?

Matthew

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

you know, its amazing how OS X quickly turned from a

"its nice and pretty, but what's so great about it?"

to

"aw cool... <emphasize> UNIX!!!:eek: :eek:</emphasize> "

to

"its all that, but it doesnt have any software, dude..."

to

"i love os X, there is absolutely no reason to turn back to classic. Just kill 9 all together."

:)

irmongoose

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

X vs. 9

I love the stability of X...

not having system freezes....
    if an application quits...
    simply start it back up again...
    no memory errors....
    not to mention the killer interface...
    and the file previews are really useful where u can change which application to run...

but I still find need for the speed alone of 9...
    plus when I need to get into some real work the apps run quicker...
    plus I still have use of ATM in 9....Suitcase sucks!!!! :p

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

I really agree with eyelikeart on this one. OS X is just plain more stable, more prominent, less complicated, and better looking than the OS 9 interface.

However, it is still a shame that I need to use OS 9 on three Apps (well, Photoshop 7 will be out very soon!). If Apple could take the Classic update 9.3, which will come out soon, and just remove some of the materials that would make it boot up faster in OS X, and also improve stability, then we really wouldn't complain that much about Classic.

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

mymemory...how about an update?
    Are you still out there?

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

very true...so until we see some more improvements (ie. 10.2) it seems we'll be forced to go back and forth between OS's... :rolleyes: