OSX Cross-over Time

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ensign Paris, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hi

I was just wondering what peoples plans for total OSX adoption are?

I now have all but one program in OSX now (I need Facespan) but I can live without Facespan for a few months.

One thing I like is Escape Velocity: Override which I have dug an old powerbook 540c from my stack of mac to play it on!

Can't wait for Escape Velocity: Nova (Its only a few weeks away now!) http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn)

My date is March 24th 2002.

Ensign Paris

2. Pepzhez macrumors regular

In the audio world, there is practically zilch for OS X. All of the major audio software purveyors, like Steinberg-Cubase and Logic Audio are still only for OS 9. But then the audio software manufacturers (and their users) seem notriously conservative. Many still insist that OS 8.1 is the only way to go! (Incredible but true! They really think this.)

I would REALLY like to see Apple come out with their own audio app, ala Final Cut Pro for music. This has been an oft-repeated rumor for a while now (and there seems to be no evidence that it is true), but this is sorely needed. It seems obvious to me that the audio software firms have pretty much abandoned Mac, or treat it (at best) as an afterthought. Performance and support have been shoddy, to say the least.

Apple could solve all of these problems by coming out with an audio app of their own (OS X native, of course). They could have a free, basic editor - iAudio - which would seamlessly integrate with iTunes, iMovie and QT. Could be very useful for amateurs and Digikids. On the other hand, there'd be the full-blown pro version - the FCP of audio apps ... oh well, I can dream, can't I?

(I'd just love to see the day when I'd never have to deal with Logic Audio or Steinberg ever again!)

Also, Apple still needs to get OS X to recognize VCDs! I have to boot into OS 9.2 just to watch a VCD, which is ridiculous.

Once an audio app and VCD support arrives to OS X, I can forget about OS 9 forever.

3. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I watch VCDs with a dodgy little app I found a while ago (OSX.13) and it seems to work ok.

I think a version of eMagic Logic has just come out for OSX.

I look forward for Cubase.

Ensign