Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asqy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Australia
If I buy a new mac does it come with an OSX CD whereby I could reformat and reinstall?

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
is there ever a need to format and reinstall periodically like there is in windows?

Is it an easy process?

It's an easy process and if you have a big software problem you might need to erase and install otherwise the reinstall is not needed.

ricksbrain

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
Miami, FL
Reinstalls are rarely needed, anyway. Macs tend to not slow down like Windows computers, though that depends somewhat on your usage.

It's also true that updates on Macs actually go well, so you don't necessarily have to reinstall "the whole thing" if a new OS update comes out.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
If you reinstall windows because it gets infested with spyware then no, Macs are pretty much immune of that. Its always good to reinstall any OS every now and then just to get rid of crap youve installed over the months and dont use anymore so you can start fresh. There are some mac programs that can really make a mess of your system files since they are poorly written. I usually reinstall OS's atleast once a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.