OSX doesn't recognize USB drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by phungy, Nov 10, 2008.

1. macrumors 68020

phungy

OSX can't read/recognize anything plugged into it that is USB. I tried searching google and the forums but nothing. Anyone encounter this before?

2. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Does it not recognize any drive, or just a specific one?

Does anything show up in Disk Utility?

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

phungy

Tried 3 USB pens and an external USB harddrive but no-go. Doesn't show up in Disk Utilities either.

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

phungy

Found the solution. Thanks for attempting to help me out r.j.s

5. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe, since you've taken the time to make the thread, you could post what the solution was, in case someone else has the same problem? :p

6. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I didnt see your last reply until just now, I'm glad you found it.

Would you post it here? That way someone else can find it if they have the same problem.

7. macrumors member

My solution

I wish phungy had replied as well, because I just had this problem. I'll post my solution.

My USB drive failed to be recognized after OS X said I needed to force eject it because something was tying up the unmount process. I'm not sure what that was, but force eject wouldn't work either and I had to physically pull the USB drive out. After that it wouldn't be recognized.

My solution was Disk Utility, which did recognize the drive and said it was unmounted but "couldn't eject because it couldn't unmount the disk." After a couple tries with the eject (button on top of Disk Utility) the drive suddenly showed on my desktop in a grayed-out state (in the process of being ejected) and then it disappeared from Disk Utility. After that it worked normally.

I can't quite tell what happened but fiddling with the eject function in Disk Utility did the trick.

Jeremy