Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
So, whilst out walking the dog an idea hit me. The reason why the iPhone is at MacWorld is OSX just became an embedded OS. As such, we should forget about the deal with Cingular for this one device and start expecting deals with Boeing for in-flight entertainment systems, BMW for in-car consoles, etc.

If OSX Embedded is the reality behind the keynote, this thing truly is huge. Enough to seriously worry a lot of competitors anyway.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I sort of think that this is just marketing. Let's glorify the iPod interface with a PSP style browser and widgets! If this ran on Darwin, I may think differently about it. That said, I love whatever this is. It's certainly not OS X, but it's really, really awesome!

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I sort of think that this is just marketing. Let's glorify the iPod interface with a PSP style browser and widgets! If this ran on Darwin, I may think differently about it. That said, I love whatever this is. It's certainly not OS X, but it's really, really awesome!

There is no reason why this wouldn't run on Darwin. The kernel might be stripped down a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised if the environment was very similar to Darwin, with a different UI Server on top.

Realize that Windows Mobile runs a variant of the NT kernel underneath, and shares a lot of heritage with late 90s Win32.

iWhale

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
A new newton might be in the works maybe? or maybe Palm inc might make use of it considering PalmOS has been ver 5 since 2002.

grafikat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2003
I'm suprised that there was no mention of handwriting recognition. The Newton was ahead of it's time

Beat up Martin...=<newton>=...Eat me Martha
Sorry, Simpson's reference

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
A new newton might be in the works maybe? or maybe Palm inc might make use of it considering PalmOS has been ver 5 since 2002.

This is the Newton reborn. The iPhone doesn't seem to lack any of the Newton's features and the bonus of course is the lack of a stylus.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
I'm wondering if the next iteration of the iPod will be using this interface, and basically be the iPhone but without the cell phone/camera stuff, and replace it with a high capacity drive.

I would actually be surprised if they didn't do this.

EDIT:

Using Darwin and having a stable API might also make it easier, and more attractive for game makers to make games for iPods...right now it seems like a bit of a stop-gap.

Hook'Em2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Plano, TX
I'm wondering if the next iteration of the iPod will be using this interface, and basically be the iPhone but without the cell phone/camera stuff, and replace it with a high capacity drive.

I would actually be surprised if they didn't do this.

EDIT:

Using Darwin and having a stable API might also make it easier, and more attractive for game makers to make games for iPods...right now it seems like a bit of a stop-gap.

He was close! It was the iPod Touch! (notice I didn't say iTouch)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.