OSX equivilant of Kazaa?

Discussion in 'Community' started by powerbook4me, Apr 22, 2004.

1. powerbook4me macrumors member

Does one exist?

I will be buying a 12 incher and was wondering about this.

Also, are there P2P that have mac files mainly?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

We're not really supposed to talk about this sort of stuff here, but let me direct you to www.mac-p2p.com, which (hopefully) contains everything you need to know :)

I recommend BitTorrent for finding Mac software. It's a bit of a mission to get set up though.

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Or Poisoned...personally I find bittorrent better than Kazaa but then you need to know where to find the .torrent files and I ain't tellin'. I don't want to be banned...

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i read that as OSX version of Kazzoo , and thought, wow, i wonder if that's something you can get in garageband...

6. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

7. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Use something that is edonkey based.
    I personally like eMule but it's not made for the Mac :(

8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I've been using Acquisition for odds and ends I can't find at the iTMS and wouldn't buy on CD (making a total hypocrite of myself for all my posts on the philosophy of file-sharing vs paying RIAA :eek: ) and it's been pretty good.

It's nagware if you don't register and just use the free download....but still usable, and features iTunes integration that loads completed song downloads in iTunes, and highlights downloadable files that you already have in iTunes (though it doesn't always recognize different files of the same song). I just wish the author hadn't restricted payment to PayPal only....I'm really leery of getting a PayPal account.

Not sure what you mean by "mac files", unless you mean software...iTunes supports a number of cross-platform formats.

9. encro macrumors 6502

encro

If you are after an actual FastTrack/Kazaa client then Acquisition or LimeWire won't do as they are only for the Gnutella Network.

If you need one for FastTrack(KaZaa)/OpenFT and Gnutella there is:
    Xfactor
    Poisoned
    and a few others...

BitTorrent is the better distributed system I believe.

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I find LimeWire to be the best for me, plus alot of the software is for Mac's.

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

HAHAHAHAHA! awesome :D :D

i may or may not ( ;) ) use acquisition. my brother uses bittorrent all the time, finds alot of good stuff

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Limewire isn't that good, and Acquisition is only slightly better. I recently started using Poisoned (no music, no apps, just, erm *cough* ;)), and it's much better than both of them, and it's also better that Neo, which was a FastTrack client for OS X a while back.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A friendly warning: Discussion of illegal use of file-sharing software reflects badly on MacRumors and for that reason is explicity mentioned in the forum rules. This discussion is borderline. Not all file sharing is illegal, but the rule is there for a reason. Please respect it.

Edit: See Rower_CPU's clarification of the rules, which corrects my statement, later in this thread (May 12).

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I wrote a program for pulling files off of web pages, like a whole series of desktop pictures of nemo.

It is called Snatcher

I may be making a new version soon.

15. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I only download Linux distros from P2P :D

16. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

you too?! :D ;) :D

17. powerbook4me thread starter macrumors member

Blah blah blah....Nothing we are talking about is illegal.

18. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I'm not in front of my Mac so I can't check, but I believe you can set it not to do this. Check the Preferences.

And, in deference to the good Doctor, I'll leave this thread at that.

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Um, cool, but what does that have to do with me?

20. 7on macrumors 601

7on

mlMac is the Devil. Filled the root of my drive with log files everytime it opened.

21. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

*yawn*

Slap me the next time I go to Arn's Mac P2P site :rolleyes:

Blah Blah Blah.

Bit Torrent has exploded which is great.

Poisoned is second greatest. Poisoned can Connect to FastTrack (KaZaA), Gnutella (Limewire, Aquisition) and OpenFT (its their own really speedy, fast network)

Limewire and Aquisition have the same flaw -- Gnutella. and Gnutella can't scale which means it would need a major overhaul breaking every past version of the software... and having to release it at the same time with over 10+ applications using Gnutella -- aka never going to happen. aka -- Gnutella can't scale.

As for me I am currently being sued by the BSA. I can't talk about that on this forum tho or they will go after me.

Remember people... We are only talking about download Live Tapes from Concerts and downloading Linux Distros...

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    BSA? It sucks that you can't talk about it. Is there some type of gag order. Copyright laws need to be rehashed. Software for 10, Music for 20 years, movies for 40, books for 60. Fair use needs to mean something again.

And archived shareware distributions that allow for redistribution and home movies and your really nifty Garage Band loops and of course your holiday snaps of the grand tetons.

23. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Why would you want to do that? Most distributions' mirrors are much faster than downloading via P2P. Some distributions (notably Debian) allow you to only download what you need instead of half a dozen ISOs. Doesn't make sense to use P2P to get Linux. Get a better excuse :p

24. MataGansos macrumors newbie

Sig2dat on Mac (Poison?)

I've got Poison set up, and it seems to work reasonably well, but a number of the things that I've wanted to DL have required that I use a sig2dat file. Sig2dat is basically just a script that makes Kazaa think that it has a partial download, and thus directs Kazaa to "continue" (in this case, start) a download at a particular loaction. I have no idea how to do this on the Mac. Any thoughts?