OSX Firewall

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by 7on, May 8, 2004.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

So has anyone experienced problems using OSX's firewall and other apps? I will assume no, but I'd thought I'd ask. In case I ever run into a problem with an app and so I won't incorrectly assume the firewall is to blame. I know XP sometimes has problems, but surely OSX's firewall willbe a team player. (i.e. friends with their firewall on can't recieve AIM sent files nor can they turn on XP's folder sharing «both work in OSX, so no need to specify that, I am just looking to see if anyone has had a problem running it»)

BTW, I do choose to have it on since I'm on a Campus, just to future proof myself is all.

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've been using the built in firewall since day one when I got my new PowerBook back in September without a single problem.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I ran into problems using a couple of programs that use odd ports to communicate, since the standard firewall interface in System Preferences doesn't let you create custom rules. BrickHouse solved this problem for me, it still uses the built-in OS X firewall, but lets you custom configure all sorts of options that Apple had limited. There are other programs that do this as well, but BrickHouse is the only one i'm familiar with.

paul

4. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Something like this?

Attached Files:

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

nope, brickhouse let you configure the firewall in OS X, which is really the bsd firewall, IPFW. anyways you can configure the firewall with more sophisticated rules besides just port numbers. it also has many other features.