OSX heirarchy tree

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigboy99, Jan 7, 2006.

1. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Are the Movies, Music & Pictures folders in my Home the same files as the Movies, Music & Pictures that are separatly listed in the finder (under Home)?

Windows listed the same files in a variety of places, and deleting from one would lose them all.

I'm still suffering from PC withdrawal ;)

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, they're the same, but pulling the icons out of the left-hand column (so they go poof) doesn't delete the real folders. You can always drag them (or any other folders that would be more convenient) back in there.

If you drag something from the left-hand column into the trash or command-delete it, it would be moved to the trash, but you can undo that too.

3. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ouch! Found that out myself :( I'm copying the Pictures folder back from the external drive now. Will this restore the Pictures icon at the lower left in the finder?

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Once you have the folder copied back, you can drag the folder into the left-hand pane to make it like new :)

The little picture frame icon may not appear immediately (you may see a generic folder instead), but you can force it to come back either by logging out and back in, or restarting the Finder (control-option-click on the Finder icon in the dock, and pick Relaunch).

5. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

All is back to norbal. Thanks for the advice. My wife thinks I'll ruin my G4 (like my Dell) if I keep "investigating", but it's sorta like taking apart a watch.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep, the old saw about "you can't break the computer" is the biggest lie ever! Since it seems that you're in good shape with the backups, you should find that anything that goes wrong can be undone without too much hassle. Have fun!