OSX Help

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by canadianmac, Mar 30, 2002.

1. canadianmac macrumors newbie

Ok...here is my problem. I installed OSX on my (older iMac: G3 400 - DV, 320MB RAM). However, I went from OS 8.6 directly to OS X. I canèt seem to install OS 9.1.

Can anyone give me any pointers - words of adviceÉ

Cheers,

CanadianMac

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Did you buy OSX? It comes with OS 9.2. Or are you trying to upgrade from 8.6 to 9.1?

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

whilst you're at it, you may as well create a new partition, specifically for os9.

Then just boot up from the cd, and install away...

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

sure you can. when i first got my iBook i formatted and did OSX only. when i decided i wanted OS 9...i installed it. I have since then removed it yet again.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Well, yes and no. You can install OS 9 on a computer running OS X.
    (1) If you do not have OS 9 installed, you need to boot and install from the CD.
    (2) If you want to upgrade 9.1 or 9.2 from a downloadable upgrade, boot up in Classic, then install the software.

The directions that came with the OS X System Software box said that if you have a previous version of Mac OS (8.1 through 9.0.4) you must upgrade to 9.2 first (using the CD). If you install OS X with a computer running OS 8.x or 9.0.4 for "Classic", then you might not be able to upgrade.

Lemon, what happened to the avitar? It was up yesterday . . . Did it fly away?

7. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

o, an apple tech told me awhile ago that i couldnt so id never tried. guess that teaches me to listen to hardware guys regarding software issues. my bad.

8. canadianmac thread starter macrumors newbie

OSX Help: Thanks

Thank you all for the help. I was able to install OS9.2 after installing OSX. I booted from an old 9.1 CD, then installed. Then upgraded to 9.2.2. All seems to be well. Thanks again.

Cheers.
    Canadian Mac