osx installation problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jvaska, Jun 10, 2003.

1. jvaska macrumors 6502

awhile back i had a crash...which rendered my osx useless...however, i had it installed on three partitions so i just assumed this was part of the problem...

i just cleaned out the drives, repartitioned using the disk utility that comes with os9...

now...still...i can't even boot using the osx installation cd...yes, it's a real cd not some burned copy...

what happens is i get the grey apple and the little churning symbol...and then the screen just goes to gray with nothing on it...

i had run osx for months with no problems...it was great...on a g4/400/tons of ram system...

any thoughts or advice?

thanks...jv

ps: yes, i've done pram and fsck, etc, etc...and the hard drive mounts (all partitions) and that stuff...

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Do you have 9 installed? Try booting into 9 and running the OS X installer from the first CD.

3. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

What kind of G4/400? Powerbook? PowerMac? Upgraded G3? Just curious, and it helps troubleshoot.

Regards,
    Gus

5. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

6. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

It could be the open firmware is having a problem, I would go to the apple support site, and download the latest firmware, even if you have the latest, I would still replace the current firmware, that sounds like your problem. Good Luck

7. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I agree. That's why I was asking which 400 G4 you had. A friend of mine had the same problem, and before we figured it out, I installed his HD in my PMac and installed X for him and then we put the drive back into his machine.

Regards,
    Gus