osx into a dos like mode problem

Discussion in 'Community' started by barhnt, Aug 13, 2004.

1. barhnt macrumors member

Feb 27, 2003
    I have a friend who had an upgrade done to mac osx. however it often frezzes and then restarts into a dos like mode. I have never heard of this. does anyone know what could case this to occur and how to fix it?
  2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
  3. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

Feb 27, 2003
    friend did not intentionally do it

the computer freezes and then goes into this mode when it restarts itself. how do i change it so that it restarts in osx mode like normal.
  4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    First, boot from a startup CD for OS X. Run disk utility. If that does not help, then they have 3 options.

1) Play unix geek in single user mode. Run fsck three times or more until it finds no errors next time it boots into the command line. Not good for the faint at heart.
    2) Reinstall from CD downside is loss of data
    3) Get a utility like DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro 4. Downside, they cost $100 or so and may not solve the problem, but are very handy and will save you at some point.

It sounds like some system file is corrupted, or damaged.A clean instal or at least a SAVE AND RESTORE instal would be advised. Hopefully you have the OS X instal disks handy.
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Hopefully you didn't install one of the OS enhancing widgets or Norton.

Norton is deadware, and any of those 3rd party widgets can cause problems when you update the OS.

Especially if they install/modify kext files.

You could always try booting into safe mode.
  6. Steradian macrumors 6502

Dec 3, 2002
    San Jose
    I had a similar problem, only it wouldn't let me restart cause I never set up a Root, try the Boot disk, then set a Root password, then just restart in OS X. Or just reinstall...which is a pain