OSX lagging

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FrankieTDouglas, Jul 25, 2005.

1. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I have a 15" Powerbook with 1.5 gigs of ram. It's the latest revision model.

Up until now, it has been working flawlessly. But on Friday, while burning a data dvd, it started lagging up on me. Even after a restart, things were lagging up while trying to open. Periodically since then, things have been running slower and I've been getting the beach-ball in everything from Safari to Preview to Mail to iPhoto to Photoshop. I'm wondering if there's anything I can reset, clear, or etc, to get this thing out of the funk and back to running smoothly?

Thanks.

2. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

3. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Perhaps try running the usual set of maintenance routines: Permission repair, cron jobs, etc.

4. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

Out of 93 available gigs, I have 19 gigs free.

Finder has been slow as well.

5. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

The standard response to these questions seems to be "Repair Permissions", so that's my first suggestion.

My second suggestion is that you have a look in Activity Monitor and see if there are any processes that are taking up a lot of CPU% or RAM. It's amazing how much RAM my Widgets took up before I realised I didn't actually need about 25 of them and turned them off :eek:.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Feel free to slap me if this is insultingly self-explanatory but you know that OSX isn't like Windows in that clicking on the red button wont quit the app but rather just close the window. Sorry if that's just plain rude. :eek:

Otherwise, as everyone else says, see what Activity Monitor says.

7. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah yeah, quite familiar with that aspect of the red dots. Very fond of it, actually.

Activity monitor is showing 27% user CPU, 73% system CPU.

Currently, everything's acting as it should. Just been strange in the most recent few days. I dunno... picture having 256 megs of ram and all of your apps open, then trying to do something in one of them. That's what the experience has been like.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, you mentioned a restart anyway which would have quit all the apps.

You're RAM is being recognised, right? This is really weird if Activity Monitor thinks things are cool. :confused:

9. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

So your CPU is maxed out? :eek:

Is there a particular process that's using a particularly high percentage of your CPU?

10. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay, Finder is bouncing between 70 and 80 in the % CPU column. That doesn't even look right. How do I go about reducing this?

11. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

My Finder process sits on 0.00%. So obviously something's up. Unfortunately I have no idea what :(

12. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

I just restarted it and it's down to 0.00 again. But I'm curious as to what can cause this.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Glad it's fixed for now. Were you doing anything with Finder that could have started this (networking or file transfers/moving)?

14. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

Friday I attempted to network my computer with someone else's via ethernet. Her computer had problems showing up, so we disbanded that idea and I began the dvd burning.

It seems like a good answer, minus the fact that I have since restarted the computer a few times.

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

16. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

No, I'm using Panther. Sorry, should have said that in the opening message.

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This was almost certainly the problem. Even on a restart the Finder often seems to try and re-connect to servers it was connected to. If it cannot find them it tends to max the CPU for ages. I've not seen this under Tiger (yet) but used to see it in Panther. Perhaps it's time for an upgrade :)

18. macdon401 macrumors 6502

macdon401

You are right gekko513, i was having the same problems but under Tiger 10.4.2
    I tried everything until i went looking for something in Spotlight,
    it said it is indexing my computer ...thus the slowdown I guess!
    I installed the 3 CS2 trials and I guess that it has to index them,
    I have about 20 Gigs on my G5, how long would this take?
    Thanks
    R