OSX leaving files and folders everywhere

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XP Defector, Dec 6, 2006.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

I love the way clean installs work (drag and drop into applications, so simple) but I don't like the way things that are actually installed lurk around your system folders indefinitely after you think you delete them from the applications folder.

Any good programs out there that address this problem?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you are referring to preference files, many people leave them because they are small and useful if you decide to reinstall the program. Delete them yourself under Home > Library > Preferences or just search for the name of the app. and delete everything appropriate from there.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Prefs are okay, but stuff that is installed in /Library/Application Support/, or even ~/Library/Application Support/ or maybe some .kexts etc. can be quite irritating if there is no good "uninstaller" made by the developer.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Spotlighting the name (or part of the name) of the app is often a good way to track down these bits if you don't want to use AppZapper. In fact, AppZapper sometimes does miss things, especially for Apple apps.

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I would argue that this scenario isn't an OS X problem, its a developer issue.

I usually do the Spotlight and delete method...

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I agree. The developer knows what is being installed, so just "reverse" the installer script, and call it the uninstaller.
    I also use Spotlight to help me find relevant files / software to delete, but I always manually browse through the ../Application Support/ dir to see if I might have missed something.