OSX Lion not worth it, not impressed, nothing new

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by killerbee79, Jun 7, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Buying Lion is a complete waste of $30. There is nothing new. Plus Rosetta is not in there so that means 2 apps I use all the time would be worthless. But even if it did have Rosetta, still not worth it.

Mission Control is nothing more than a re-named Expose that adds switching to different Spaces. Not impressed.

Multi-touch gestures are already present in Snow Leopard. I can already go back and forward in Safari using gestures now...they just added a little effect of seeing the old page scroll off to the right or left of the screen. whoopi.... Now Safari doesn't have a scroll bar. WOW!!! Innovation (sarcasm)

I use gestures right now for everything. To bring up Dashboard, Expose, Spaces, Navigating in windows (safari, finder)..... again nothing new.

I could go on and on.

I think Apple is running out of ideas of innovation in an operating system and are just re-naming things after making them look a little different. Kind of disappointing. But then yet, what else can one really do to an OS....

Apple won't be getting any money from me. I'll stick with my Snow Leopard thank you very much until I see something really new.

One thing they could do is make the OS have an artificial AI that you interact with. Now that would be cool! Tell the Mac to open up Text Edit and have it type what you say like a secretary would, or tell it to Google something and it instantly opens up Safari and does the search for you. Ask it what the weather's like and it opens up The Weather Channel in Safari and tells you the current conditions + forecast (using voice) while you look at it.

Ones imagination is the limit with this. The OS would even have it's own voice that responds to you. Now that's innovation....

2. macrumors 68000

ErikGrim

And you do. Thank you for that worthless post. Stay with Snow Leopard and be happy.

3. macrumors regular

Someone needs to watch the keynote again.

4. macrumors 603

Good news! Apple's been working on this since the late 1980s! Should be any day now!

5. macrumors 6502a

If you're happy with the older OS and you just want some handicap-accessible features enabled, there's nothing wrong with that. But it just seems funny to confuse that with constructive criticism (???).

Controlling Your Mac With Speech Recognition.
    (this video is just over two years old. these features might even be improved now, and possibly more so with Lion.)

6. macrumors 68000

VPrime

For me there are a few features that make it a huge step up from snow leopard worth the time.
    Again these are just features that I am loving.
    -Auto save/versions. Amazing. It is a realy simple version control. I currently manually save every 5 or 10 minutes to a new file incase I mess something up. Now built in.

-Select some files, and it makes a new fodler and stores them in it. Amazing.
    -Merge content of folders
    -Cut and paste of files.
    -Low power wake fo file sharing. So If I need a file from another mac it won't turn on the monitor and junk. Just enough to get me my files.
    -Mission control.. Makes me feel like a space man :D
    -File sorting. New (much needed) additions finally make the finder more usable.

-Per user screen sharing - AMAZING. I have been really looking forward to this.

-Air drop. Depending on the speed of this, I assume this will be quite handy. Should be quicker than going and setting up a shared folder for a single file. (or moving a file to a shared folder).

7. macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I agree with OP.
    Lion brings a handful of new features, none of witch are groundbreaking or incredibly important.
    It also drops Rosetta, fail.

Look at Windows 8 videos, looks awesome. The tiling scheme (same implementation as on their new phones, which I am currently trying to get and sell my IP4) makes the OS feel fresh truly new.

Windows 8 I have a feeling is going to destroy OSX in terms of what changed from version to version this time around.

Very soon I won't be an iPhone user (been once since a week after the first one arrived) and if Windows 8 really nails it, a mac user either.

8. macrumors 68000

Apple transitioned to Intel 5 years ago. Time to get apps that work with the new architecture.

9. macrumors 6502a

There are several useful PowerPC applications that have never been ported nor rewritten for Intel processors. Many of those applications have no Intel equivalent. Rosetta is tiny, and takes up an inconsequential amount of space. Apple should have, at the very least, included it as an install option with Lion, just as they did with Snow Leopard.

10. macrumors 603

That's just the enabler application. All System files in 10.6 have to be intel/ppc compatible for Rosetta to work. Now, they can be intel-only, which will make them easier to maintain and improve.

I cried about losing Alpha Centauri for five minutes, but then I realized it's just time to move on.

11. macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

The good news here is, you can guarantee a 3rd party dev is going to make a sudo Rosetta or workaround.

The bad news is, DP4 seems to have killed my sound again, time to go thread searching to see how I fixed it last time.

12. macrumors 68000

I understand that, but how long does Apple need to carry these developers along? They have had plenty of time to update.

13. macrumors 68030

baryon

Yeah I agree with you 100%! I mean Lion is a bad OS because it doesn't have an AI that reads your mind. Also, what I think is crap in Lion is that it's not a Ferrari. I mean what the hell? How is adding "Mission Control" going to make it like a Ferrari? How, Apple?? And how are invisible scroll bars going to make Lion behave more like a Ferrari? That doesn't even make sense!

14. macrumors member

BR485

Wow, it's SO amazing...

Now this is a truly innovative and AMAZING new feature. :rolleyes:

If Apple wants its OS to be a serious contender with, as much as it pains me to say this, Windows 7 and 8 it really, really needs to revamp OS X and keep it separate from iOS.

With Lion, unfortunately, they seem to be moving in the opposite direction and it remains to be seen how "serious" users (as opposed to iOS aficionados) will react to the new OS.

15. wackymacky, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

macrumors 65816

wackymacky

Maybe I'm just a rich snob, but it is only $20.00 we're talking about. What does that buy you now days: A coffee, bagel and a newspaper. If you don't like it don't upgrade.

The clear point about Lion, rightly or wrongly, is it is all about trying to cloud intergrate, and if it worked well, then that's worth twenty lousy bucks!

Cool, Buy a PC with Windows 8, and a Windows based phone, and go hang out on one of those forums.

Yes you can comment on your thoughts on mac OS, but just saying that Windows is sooo much better ads no value.

16. macrumors 6502a

Pardon me, but it's $30, not $20, isn't it? That's a coffee and a half, a bagel and a half, and a newspaper and a half. And for that price, I do think that it's reasonable to expect my OS to read my mind and be my butler too.

17. rmbrown09, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

In fact I already do. No where did I say Windows was better. I am saying Lion progressed OSX almost no where and after SL that was supposed to be an under the hood minor upgrade, this is just the same thing - the under the hood.

I am quite tired of iOS, can't wait to get off of it.
    What I hate more than anything are blind Apple fanboys. Obviously a forum like this is a place ripe with a higher population of them.

Don't get upset that facts are being pointed out here.
    Windows 8 = looking innovative.
    Windows Phone 7 = looking innovative
    OSX = still awesome but hasn't moved much in the last few years
    iOS 5 = playing catch up with other OS' (android like notifications, hard button camera now) and is plain boring now after using it for 4 years.

My Assessment of Lion
    *Re-skin core apps like Mail and Finder
    *Update Spotlight
    *Air Drop
    *TRIM
    *FileVault update

Seriously.... not good enough for a whole OS update, especially after SL that was a minor upgrade OS. (under the hood)

Windows 8 looks like it is stepping way out there with the newest coming version. Lion seems like it played it safe.

18. macrumors regular

JKK photography

John Dvorak sums up my critique of Microsoft's OS in This Week in Tech. Go listen to that. I'm not about to type it all out. A major step up in the UI is worthless if it's a stupid step.

Next, you guys haven't used the Lion previews. That's cool; if you have a laptop, you're going to adore it. The combination of the fullscreen apps and the simple swipe to move between the full screen apps is beautiful for productivity. I've been off the developer previews for a full month, and I still miss that feature so much.

19. macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

20. macrumors 6502a

I've been on a Mac for only nearing two years now, so I certainly don't have a lot of firsthand knowledge on OSX's evolution. So that leads me to ask: years ago, was Leopard really was such a leap in progress over OSX Tiger that makes the changes happening now seem relatively pithy in comparison?

To me, Lion feels very different in its UI over Snow Leopard. Fullscreen apps and increased use of gestures and involvement of mission control and all else that could seem relatively small as individual improvements do make quite a difference. To me it very much feels like a worthwhile improvement.

Whether anyone else likes Lion or not isn't my concern and I'm not trying to argue for either side (massively silly) since I know that I'm happy with it. But I wonder if previous updates to OSX have created such precedence that could be lending to any of the disappointment that some people are feeling now(?).

21. macrumors 65816

kirky29

To me, it's the smaller changes, the changes that actually help your day-to-day productivity, like:

Right click > New Folder with selected
    When you drag items, it tells you how many you're dragging
    Improved Quick-look
    Versions that automatically backup all the time
    Auto correct typing
    Hold a letter down and it'll show the alts
    Right click on a word and it'll show the dictionary without opening the app
    Launchpad
    Full screen preview
    New & improved Mail App
    Loads better Spotlight with previews
    Year view in iCal
    New Spaces (although I did like some of the old spaces features)
    Low power network usage for files
    Double tap to zoom in (like on iOS)
    More Quicktime tools
    Resume option when you restart your Mac
    Per user screen sharing
    iOS like scrollbars

They're some of the things I'm liking so far!

22. macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

All this complaining about so called minor upgrades of the OS is stupid. Seriously, by the standards of the posters before me ALL OS X upgrades have been minor. Leopard just added eye candy! OS X has changed over the years, but look at 10.0, it's the same OS, and each version added things to get it to where it is today. Just because you think these new feature are small and insignificant doesn't make it so. Stop whining about it.

23. macrumors 6502a

I think that that's pretty much what I was seeking confirmation of with my previous post.

24. macrumors 6502a

God some of you Apple users are ***** pathetic and childlike. I feel so bad that people like to own the same brand as I do. You pay $300 for over priced hardware and complain and they release a $30 COMPLETE OS UPGRADE that took hundreds of thousands of programming and graphic design hours to put together.

Spoiled brats and worthless post.

Lion has a ton of things to offer. If you are unimpressed, name some features that you'd like to be put into Lion what would impress you.

Go.

25. macrumors 603

appleguy123

How do I activate versions? It's not working for me. DP 4.