OSX MAIL: IMAP Accounts - My old emails are gone!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ikarus79m, Oct 27, 2006.

1. ikarus79m macrumors member

I recently switched over my POP mail account to IMAP in Mail and also chose the option that Mail downloads ALL the mail from my server.

My IMAP email server keeps messages for 31 days before deleting them permanently so I thought by enabling that option they would still be available in my Mail application.

I was wrong. The other day when I was trying to find an old email I noticed that I got no emails in mail anymore older then August 31st. All of my old email is gone!

Is there no way to use IMAP and still tell Mail not to just delete all of your messages once the server automitically deletes them? Don't people want to store their email messages?

Any solutions to this?

Philipp

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

IMAP that only lasts for 31 day - that's bizarre. I think your safest option might be to create a new folder (Plus button down in the bottom left) with the location as On My Mac and keep your emails there. That way they'll have to be downloaded you your machine and they won't sync with the servers. Of course, you could always go back to POP3 too. I don't quite understand the point of IMAP if it only lasts 31 days. POP3 will probably be faster. :eek: