OSX Named World's Safest Computing Environment!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ~Shard~, Nov 2, 2004.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The mi2g Intelligence Unit has conducted the most comprehensive study of its kind to determine the world's safest computing environment (OS + apps). The winner - the mighty combination of BSD and OS X! :cool:

The article is quite good, with a few surprises in it (i.e. the most breached environment of them all is Linux!), and the conclusion is quite well worded. I also found the "Important Note" at the end quite intriguing - that mi2g was accused of "computing blasphemy" by the likes of Linux and Windows for their claims.

Have a read and share your thoughts!

The article can be found here

:cool:

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's awesome that mi2g has found that Mac OS X is the safest in the world. We have Apple to thank for this position. :)

3. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Definitely. I'm just glad that such a reputable, high-profile organization has finally proven this and conducted a comprehensive study like this - it really adds credibility to what many of us have known for a long time.

I will take great enjoyment in forwarding this article along to my Windows-using friends. :cool:

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

More and more smart individuals, government agencies and corporations are shifting towards Apple and BSD environments in 2004," according to DK Matai, Executive Chairman, mi2g. "For how long can the truth remain hidden that the great emperors of the software industry are wearing no clothes fit for the fluid environment in which computing takes place, where new threats manifest every hour of every day. There is an accelerating paradigm shift visible in 2004 and busy professionals have spotted the benefits of Apple and BSD because they don't have the time to cope with umpteen flavours of Linux or to wait for Microsoft's Longhorn when Windows XP has proved to be a stumbling block in some well chronicled instances."

Damn.

5. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah I know, I liked the Conclusion statement as well. Great choice of words, IMO. :cool:

6. jaromski macrumors regular

jaromski

just to be an ass- this is all BSD, IMHO. BSD is the safest, least-hackable OS out there. Mac is built on the BSD bedrock baby. so i think the BSD folks should really get the "street cred" for having the "safest" OS. but i do rather enjoy using Mac OS X over other BSDs any day.

jaromski

7. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

True that BSD provides the foundation for the security of OS X--but Apple provides a consistent distribution of it, plus a consistent desktop over it. That's why they're plugging OS X over Linux-on-BSD...those "umpteen flavors" of Linux can be a pain in a corporate environment where the ability to standardize is key.