OSX Networking Problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bush, Sep 30, 2003.

1. bush macrumors newbie

i have two G4s both with OSX installed connected at the moment by an ethernet cable. Everytime we need to share we have to disconnect the modem and then share between machines and vice versa (via 'go to server'), this is not good enough.
    we need to be able to share email, using outlook express 5, and be sharing each others machines constantly, without the need to touch any of our settings.

when we do try and connect by 'go to server' the connection will timeout each time and not find the server.

the hardware and software i have is:
    USB adsl modem
    outlook express 5 on each machine
    two g4 running osx

please help, i've tried all sorts. i do have an ethernet hub that i havent tried, maybe this will help..its very frustrating as we have to share email on one machine and this isn't helping our business. if anyone can help who reads this, then please respond,

cheers b
    :confused:

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

What IP addresses are you using on the network card and the USB modem? You can find these under System Preferences and Network.

The subnets cannot overlap.

3. bush thread starter macrumors newbie

hi,
    checking the Network part of System Preferences: the machine with the USB modem :
    USB ADSL modem; configured using PPP, and has a different IP address to that of the Built-in Ethernet.
    in the network port configuration all are checked (USB ADSL MODEM, internal modem, built in ethernet)

the subnet mask of both machines within built-in ethernet is the same.
    all other addresses are different.

:confused:

4. pncc macrumors regular

Much of what you are saying is not making sense. let me see if I understand what your hardware is and what you are trying to do:

You have two G4's running OS X. You have ONE USB ADSL modem attached to ONE G4 for Internet access.

You say you want to share email between the two machines. This has to be clarified.

Do you mean that you want the same email account and address on both machines?
    -You can't really do this, and I don't see why you would want to.

Or do you want both machines to be able to send/receive email and have independent email addresses? ie: myG4@mydomain.com setup one one computer and myotherG4@mydomain.com setup on the other computer??

What are you trying to share? Documents? Applications? Everything??

5. bush thread starter macrumors newbie

i know it makes no sense to me after weeks of trying: apologies for jumbled message-

You have two G4's running OS X. You have ONE USB ADSL modem attached to ONE G4 for Internet access.
    *yes

You say you want to share email between the two machines. This has to be clarified.
    *yes

Do you mean that you want the same email account and address on both machines?
    -You can't really do this, and I don't see why you would want to.

*no, different email addresses, we have th accounts ready.

Or do you want both machines to be able to send/receive email and have independent email addresses? ie: myG4@mydomain.com setup one one computer and myotherG4@mydomain.com setup on the other computer??
    *yes

What are you trying to share? Documents? Applications? Everything??
    *constant connection for email sharing and documents

thanks

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Sounds like you are using a single cable between the two G4s? If that's the case, I suggest you go out a buy a router/switch. Connect the adsl modem to the router port and connect *each* G4 to a separate router/switch port. Set up the router so your *external* IP address is assigned to the adsl modem port. The router itself should be assigned an IP address for your internal network. I typically use a private IP address space, like 10.x.x.x (this also aids in security). So, say we assign 10.1.0.x as your internal network. Your subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0. Assign 10.1.0.1 as the IP address for the router, which you will use as your "default router" or "gatyeway" for all other machines connected to your internal network. Now assign 10.1.0.2, 10.1.0.3, etc. to each machine on the internal network, i.e. your 2 G4s.

Most router/switches for home use also have a built-in firewall; make sure you turn it on.

HTH, although I could be misreading your problem.

7. pncc macrumors regular

OK. DaveL has the right idea, but you said you had a USB ADSL modem. I don't know of a router that has a USB port on it so do what DaveL said, but do it on the G4 the modem is connected to. You have to do a few things.

G4 w/ modem attached:
    First, go to the sharing panel and turn on Internet sharing and turn on the Firewall, allow File sharing.

In the Internet panel, choose the PPP panel and set it up for the modem to work. The settings you already have should be fine since it works already. Now select the Ethernet port and set up your Network Like DaveL said:
    Assign 10.1.0.1 as the IP address for the G4 with the modem, which you will use as your "default router" or "gateway" for all other machines connected to your internal network. Now assign 10.1.0.2, 10.1.0.3, etc. to each machine on the internal network, i.e. your 2nd G4. DO NOT configure the modem port on the other G4. Uncheck it as an active port. Leave the firewall off and Internet sharing off as well on the 2nd G4.

That should do it. If you are still confused or it doesn't work, reply with all the info in the network panel of the G4 w/ the modem attached that has Internet access working.

8. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I know VERY LITTLE about networking, but I'll share my small recent experience. It sounds like it could clear up a problem or two later.

I have a Powermac, my Wife just got an iMac. We bought a router to share DSL, printers, and files. I hooked the router up to the PMac and set up the router through it's web controlled interface. My PMac saw the router and was assigned an IP address. I hooked up the iMac and it instantly was on DSL after choosing the right type of connection in preferences. I hit apple-K to "go to server" and my Pmac saw her iMac. I connected to it no problem and was able to pull up her HD and everything.

Then I got on her iMac and hit apple-k. Hers saw my Pmac, but when I tried to connect to it it timed out. The second time I tried I got a message saying something like "The file server you are connecting to is on your computer. Please find the files locally." Something like that. Anyway I checked all the settings etc. Knowing nothing about networking, I couldn't figure it out so I called AppleCare. They were absolutely no help. One chick suggested that possibly the problem was the her iMac was doing an automatic update at the time and that "the iMac is using one of the DSL 'channels' and that's why it can't connect." Obviously that's complete bullsh|t.

I called back hoping to talk to someone who knew SOMETHING about computers and the next suggestion I got was not to worry about it, because if I want to get files from my computer to hers, I could just get on my computer and connect to hers. Well, yeah, but shouldn't the thing be working anywy?

Anyway, I spent another hour playing with it and noticed that the IP address her computer saw when I hit apple-k wasn't the right IP address for my computer, even though her iMac "saw" mine on the network. I manually entered the IP for my PMac and it works great now. So much for AppleCare. I remember when just 2 years ago I had my B&W tower and a lady spent 1 hour on the phone trying to solve my problem. It's gone down the crapper since then.

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

10. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Some DSL routers, including mine, have both USB and ethernet. Actually, I haven't seen a USB only DSL modem.

To Whomever Started the Thread:

Check for an ethernet port and follow through with daveL's suggestion with the router. You'll thank yourself and daveL in the end.