Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mikebatho, Mar 22, 2005.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2004
    Greater Manchester UK
    I'm having all kinds of wierd things going on with the latest version of OSX on a high power G5.

Its just not remembering to open certain windows with the tool bar shown.

Sometimes it will open windows from the dock, folders etc with all toolbar info present, always opening sub-folders within the original window, according to the layout style (the 3 click boxes in the top left of the window)

Other times it opens windows like OS9, always creating a new window when you click a folder, and giving you zero tool bar info.

ALWAYS OPEN FOLDERS IN A NEW WINDOW is UN- checked in finder preferences.

Is there another way I can set up my folders & windows to behave in exactly the same way every time I startup...?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Its this way because you have been playing with how the folder shows up. Like when its just the tool bar across the top, and the sidebar is missing to the left, you have moved the slider over so that the sidebar of the Finder window is hidden. There should be a little dot in the center of the Finder window on the left hand side, click and hold, and pull to the right. Each folder will remember your preferences, such has hidding that sidebar, so you see what you want to see when opening stuff.

As for when only the red, yellow and green buttons show up at the top of a finder window, click on the button that is in the top right of the finder window, on the same bar as the red, yellow and green buttons. Again, to let you customize what you want each folder to look like when you come to it.

To make the finder act the same, open a folder, then click on View at the top bar, then choose Show View Options. Then make sure the "All Windows" button is filled, then make the changes you want. I have everything arranged by Name, so its alphabetical order, so I can find something mor easily.
  3. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2004
    Greater Manchester UK

I've not been 'playing' with anything.

It's acting crazy from one day to the next. I know how the folders work.

I will check the last thing you mentioned though.....
  4. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2004
    Greater Manchester UK
    Nope, just tried that too. Didn't realise you just meant 'apple-j'

Its not holding any of its folder settings. I can set everything the way I want, with THE TOOLBAR VISIBLE.

close the folder, save back to wherever it lives, next time I open it it's gone back to old OS 9 style opening. Plain box.

Also, why is it sometimes (randomly) opening folders in new windows when the finder pref box for this is un-checked...

Think I have a system fault.
  5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    If you hold Command while double clicking on a folder, it opens in a new window.

:D (I know this isn't your issue, but its a really neat thing and you may want to try and see what it does)
  6. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    What I've found is that with OSX, if you're wanting to change how folders open, you have to set the first one.

For example, I have four ways of opening Finder; The hard drive icon on the desktop, the finder icon in the dock, and two folders I've added to the dock.

Each one will open up a Finder window in its own view. So if I was to open finder with the dock icon, hit the button on the top-right to have an "OS9 Style" window and close it, every time I open finder with that icon, it will open in that view, however the other two folders on the dock, and the hard drive icon opens it up in the regular view.

If I want them all to open the same way (which I do) I open them all, set them to be the same, and close them. They'll then open the same way.

What I did find though is that, if I was to open up finder, go into a folder, change the view and come out, then it would still open up the way it did before, as I've only changed the view for that folder, not the finder icon.

I'm sure I could have explained this much better, and more clearly, but I hope it helps.
  7. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2004
    Greater Manchester UK
    I know what you mean, but I'm still pretty sure my OS is going a little crazy.

I have about 8 main work folders in the bottom portion of the dock that I use throughout the day, all have which were originally set the same, and have been since.

They now open however they like.

I've binned them all & dragged back on the source folders, set them all the same, but they still dance around between display styles as they feel fit.

Complete mind of its own, my Mac.
  8. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm actually suprised no one else asked this, but have you tried repairing permissions and then setting the window how you want it?
  9. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    delete your finder.plist and download something like Cocktail and use that to delete all the DS_Store files from your harddrive.