OSX noob, Alt tab?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cadmus, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Cadmus macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2006
    Hey, I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere as it's pretty much only a problem with games so I figured this might be a good place to ask.

When I'm running a game full screen how do I minimize it without exiting? Basically just like alt+tab would do in windows.
  2. Cadmus thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2006
    I tried that, it works when I'm at my desktop to switch between windows but when I'm in a full screen game (like WoW) it doesn't do anything.

Any ideas why it's not working? So far it's the only thing that's bugging me about OS X, everything else is amazing.

Edit: I've got a macbook pro if that helps.
  3. Sinsinnati macrumors regular

Sep 26, 2006
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I would like to know this too. I have Little Snitch and would like to know how to minimize a game to accept the outbound request that alarms Little Snitch without having to go into the preferences window.
  4. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
  5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    So the problem is that not all full-screen games work the same way, so getting back to the desktop is never an obvious or easy thing to do, even if you've used macs forever. Sometimes pressing Esc will get you out of full screen too, for instance. I wish that there were an easy *and consistent* way of switching from full screen.
  6. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    Like x86isslow said, it all depends on the game. Halo for example will allow you to Command + Tab to the desktop without a problem (the PPC version, don't know about the universal version). World of Warcraft will allow you to switch between windowed and full screen mode without much fuss. Its just a shortcut command. However games like Quake 3 and Call of Duty don't like to change screen resolutions or switch between windowed and full screen. Any time you want to do that, the game reloads the map, which takes time, and it aggravating.

The best thing to so is just leave a game in windowed mode.