OSX on a bondi blue iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ibook30, Mar 29, 2007.

1. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I am about to be the happy recipient of a bondi blue iMac. A friend is gifting it to me, and it will be more a decoration than a functional machine. I plan on placing it prominently in the house, and loading it with some music and a couple of mpegs.

Right now I think it is loaded with OS9 - I've only seen it once. Does anyone know (with the very limited info provided) if any version of OSX will run smoothly on this machine?

I think it's a G3 - I think it has a 4 gig HD.
    I'm particularly interested in hearing from folks with a similiar machine - and maybe have run a couple of Operating Systems on it - Classic, OSX, etc. ?????

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

IF it is a rev 2 unit, the max ram is 512mb, and the vram is 6mb. Therefore, in a maxed-out state, OS 9.x.x would run great on it, OS X.2 & 3 would be OK but not great, and running anything in classic would suk4sure :) Also, a 4 gb HD will make OS X run kinda slow, with very limited room for the Swap files/VM, so minimize the install with only what you absolutely need to get it to do what you want it to do.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah if it's a Bondi then OS X will not run natively (10.4 at least) and not sure about 10.3. Ultimately it won't be worth it anyway cause anything before 10.3 is kinda useless IMO and would not run smoothly anyway.

OS 9.2.2 is a great OS though to run anything that you are looking for. And outside of that I would say a Bondi iMac is more or less trash :( (unless you're a collector, but still it's nothing out of the ordinary).

4. andrewag macrumors 6502

Years ago, 10.2 ran alright on my fruity imac (bit newer than the bondi). 10.3 would really be pushing it. 10.4 is a no go.

In my experience, don't run 10.4 on most g3 machines. I know it's possible, but it's slow!

5. ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Thanks one and all - this is the kind of wisdom I was hoping for - sounds like its a roll of the dice if OSX will be worth upgrading the machine to.

Trash! :eek: Nah - it's a beautiful machine, but not one I am going to make stuff on or use for much :) - I guess I'm becoming a collector. :eek: