OSX on a PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wakerider017, Nov 9, 2006.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

How come we can not run OSX on a PC?

We can run XP on a Mac...

I think that would be really neat if you could run OSX on a PC....

Mac does not really build hardware for the gaming community... I would like to build my own mac and put a killer graphics card in it.... (maybe a 8800 ;) )

Think OSX will ever run on a PC?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Do a search. This has been covered hundreds of times. You CAN run OSX on a normal PC with a lot of effort and hacking. This is is direct breach of the EULA which means that Apple (not Mac, Mac don't make computers, Apple do) could sue you.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh god not again. Here's the gist:

1. It would decimate Apple hardware sales overnight -> Apple makes half as much money as it does now -> not going to happen.

2. Apple could never even dream of competing directly with MS in sales of boxed versions of it's OS for generic PCs because no matter what we like to think, the overwhelming majority of PC users aren't even aware they have an option when it comes to the OS they use.

3. If Apple did directly compete with MS in sales of the operating system MS could just pull development of Office:mac -> a Very Bad Thing™.

4. Apple would need to bloat-up it's hardware support and would lose full control of the OS-hardware integration - a key feature in the stability and usability of Mac OSX.

5. Apple would need to up the price of OSX from the current $199 ($299 for a five-license install) in order to try and make it's money back from the lost Mac sales. One of the main good points about OSX is that its $199 price is much less than similarly full-featured versions of XP/Vista.

There are countless other threads on this topic, just use the nifty little search field for more answers.

4. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I like the look and the quality of mac components MUCH better than any Dell or HP...

It would however be nice if Apple made a computer that had a really nice graphics card...

Macs are getting more and more popular and now that they are X86 I am betting there will be a lot more games avaliable in the future...

I would be nice to have a "gamer mac."

Maybe something along the lines of the mac pro... but instead of being a workstation, it will be a gamer...

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

osx can run on pcs, ive done it for the fun of it (dont tell me off i own many macs / licenced and i only did it for the hell of it) all ya need is a few drivers etc, though updates are a pain and its rarley 100% so its only really a hobbiest thing to do.

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Tiger single liscense was $129.99 when it came out, now avail for ~$99 online, but yep it is still less than windblows.........

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

In the US, yes. I'm not in the US. It costs $199 for a single license.

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

Here's the specs for what's currently available link

how much more are you looking for? I'm not a PC gamer (have an XBox for games) so I don't know what the story is with that stuff...

9. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Your living in cloud cuckoo land sunshine, you can buy a mac pro with the standard Graphics card, then buy a better one, the day apple licences OSX to External Vendors the mac will be abolished and i'd certainly stop using OSX, and that won't happen while Steve is there, which if all goes to plan should be the next 10 years (presuming he retires at 60) and even after 10 years it won't happen apple is beginning to get a hold on the market dell is scared and i think they will be a casualty of the apples 'you only need a mac' theory

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Then: $199 AU, $130 USD :D Put a dollar sign in front of it most people will assume USD.

Simply put, Macs are not designed to be gamer machines, though they can run games well.

11. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

How about a 8800GTX?

12. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Can't use just any old card... Need to be a special Mac Card...