OSX on B/W G3 with 9.2 -> Won't install

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by remko koeneman, Feb 26, 2003.

1. remko koeneman macrumors newbie

I want osX badly, when installing it comes up with DOS like errors at startup, mesages in black lines/ white text, last words: r=rebout c=continue.. We are hanging here! This is the message and the only option is to reboot the hardware way and stop installing from the osx cd. Any solutions? The destination disk is not a Slave, my os is now 9.2. I want it so badly.
    Help
    Remko, the Netherlands.

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

This is a kernal panic you are seeing here.
    I would make sure you have the latest firmware for your machine. Also, OS X is more picky than 9 about bad ram chips, you might try removing each ram chip one by one, testing to see if it works each time, this would be hard to do if you only have one stick of ram in there though. This can also be caused by PCI cards that are not OS X compatible, try removing any additional ones you have added since you got it (OEM video cards are unlikely to be the source of the problem).
    Try this and see if it helps, please post your results.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I agree but also do a fresh format of your drive and install OSX first.

4. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Just in case you have not, backup all your stuff before you do that, which you should really do anyways when upgrading to X.

It always amazed me, as a tech, how many people erase and reinstall then ask where all their important files went.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Sorry, I should have said that. I just assume I guess that everyone knows what formatting is.

6. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

working as a tech made me adopt the phrase that I currently use as my signature...... *chuckle*

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Sometimes you make an Ass out of U and Me and other times (most of the time) it just me. Though I don't usually assume anything.