Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

direzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Being a fan of the Apple Platform, I'm sure many like myself would love to have MAC OS X running on their PC's. Whats the possibility of Apple distributing a version for PC users? Wouldn't it get people to switch? Sure they wouldn't be using Mac Hardware, but they would be using the OS, and isn't that one of the most important parts?

I only dream of OS on one of my PC's, but hopefully I will be able to buy one of those MacBooks when they arrive! :D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
You can already do it, just not entirely legitimately.

I can't see Apple ever actually releasing a version stating for Mac or PC however, it will always be 'dodgy hacked' MacIntel versions of OS X distrubted though p2p.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
I don't think Apple will ever open up the OS (unless forced by france:p) simply because 1. Apple makes most of their money off the hardware, not the OS, 2. The reason everything works so well with the Mac is because the OS is specially designed for the hard ware if Apple were to open it up there would be all kinds of driver problems with the other PC manufactures, much like how Windows is (except it would look a lot better).

--Cheers

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
liscencing osx to run on pcs will never happen. apple people will always be applle people, and pc people will always be pc people.
people at osx86.org will always be doing illegal stuff and never get the ease of use of genuine mac os x on apple hardware.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Democrat622 said:
liscencing osx to run on pcs will never happen. apple people will always be applle people, and pc people will always be pc people.
people at osx86.org will always be doing illegal stuff and never get the ease of use of genuine mac os x on apple hardware.

So true on the OS X issue.. Who in the right mind would want XP or windows OS running natively on the beautiful designed Boxes from Apple.. That idea just doesn't go very well .. Same with OS X inside of boring/tired beige or black case -- That idea just doesn't go very well ..

Apple OSes will stick with Apple designed boxes and Windows OSes will stick with boring/tired beige or black case for the manufacture cost down for the low cost pc sector requires.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

direzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
is it illeagal to run your own purchase copy of mac os x on a pc?

direzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
iphil said:
So true on the OS X issue.. Who in the right mind would want XP or windows OS running natively on the beautiful designed Boxes from Apple.. That idea just doesn't go very well .. Same with OS X inside of boring/tired beige or black case -- That idea just doesn't go very well ..

Apple OSes will stick with Apple designed boxes and Windows OSes will stick with boring/tired beige or black case for the manufacture cost down for the low cost pc sector requires.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

with all due respect, there was a time when apple had beige computers and greyish powerbooks. and there is not a single beige box on the pc market i can think of. alot of them are silver.. like my hp tower, and my sony vaio is white.

so.. what are you talking about?

iPhil

macrumors 68040
direzz said:
with all due respect, there was a time when apple had beige computers and greyish powerbooks. and there is not a single beige box on the pc market i can think of. alot of them are silver.. like my hp tower, and my sony vaio is white.

so.. what are you talking about?

Im speaking Of Current system boxes.. I knew about apple II's color choice.. Im speaking of now and future color choice: Apple v. PC makers ... Not Apple II's those systems are vintage systems.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
ok tired old pc. mine isnt seen its in the desk. i have a apple keyboard and a mighty mouse. my os x 10.4.5 had a easy install dvd. and my monitor i will be useing with my mini when it arrives anyway. achually form what i gather too a lot of people like me that have bought a real mac as consaquence to testing in on our pc. its like a livedvd from linux it waters the mouth.

direzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
iphil said:
Im speaking Of Current system boxes.. I knew about apple II's color choice.. Im speaking of now and future color choice: Apple v. PC makers ... Not Apple II's those systems are vintage systems.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

um what about the first power macintoshes? those were beige.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
Interesting discussion. I just posted a thread in this same forum not 24 hours ago asking if this could be done, but for Tablet PC's. :eek: I agree with a few of the other posters in that putting windows on a mac is not my bag...putting OS X on a PC is *still* not my bag. However, putting OS X on a Tablet PC would be great because the closest we can get to that level of portability with mac hardware is a 12" iBook/PB or a Newton2x00. Having OS X on a Motion LS800 (8.4" screen) would be just great!

I guess the best way to fix this though, is for Apple to make and sell an iTablet! :p *drools* Or resurrect the Newton! iNewton, anyone? Come on SJ, you can do it! :D

kozmic stu

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2006
England
direzz said:
um what about the first power macintoshes? those were beige.

They were indeed beige... And tired... But they will NOT run OS X Tiger. So the quote about not running OS X on a beige box stands. Also the modern PCs may not be beige, but they're still tired - or worrying tacky at least

You need firewire ports to run Tiger, so the earliest computers that will run it are the blue and white G3 towers... pretty colours, anyone? It's just a shame I can't get it going on a Bondi iMac, really

Stu

Compatiblepoker

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2006
Jacksonville Beach
direzz said:
Being a fan of the Apple Platform, I'm sure many like myself would love to have MAC OS X running on their PC's. Whats the possibility of Apple distributing a version for PC users? Wouldn't it get people to switch? Sure they wouldn't be using Mac Hardware, but they would be using the OS, and isn't that one of the most important parts?

I only dream of OS on one of my PC's, but hopefully I will be able to buy one of those MacBooks when they arrive! :D

I really dont' see the purpose of offering it.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
edesignuk said:
You can already do it, just not entirely legitimately.

I can't see Apple ever actually releasing a version stating for Mac or PC however, it will always be 'dodgy hacked' MacIntel versions of OS X distrubted though p2p.

Even so it not really OS X, as you can't get software updates, can't get Apple help, and hardware support is weak, at best.

Simply get a Mac if you want Mac OS X, at least for now, and as logn as we have Jobs unless MS pisses him off:rolleyes:

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
Compatiblepoker said:
I really dont' see the purpose of offering it.

It makes sense to offer MacOS X to be license to a few companies like Mac OS was in the passed. I see a few markets which the mac don't have much joy.

A cheap MaC clone with Mac OS X. Just image sony computers running Mac OS X, that would make a cool solution, with all there hardware solutions (cameras, etc).

But i need to remind my self, that they MacOS license was before Steve Jobs returned.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
munkees said:
It makes sense to offer MacOS X to be license to a few companies like Mac OS was in the passed.
As you say, Apple did this before with Mac OS. It almost bankrupted them.

ziutek

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2004
CA
kozmic stu said:
They were indeed beige... And tired... But they will NOT run OS X Tiger. So the quote about not running OS X on a beige box stands. Also the modern PCs may not be beige, but they're still tired - or worrying tacky at least

You need firewire ports to run Tiger, so the earliest computers that will run it are the blue and white G3 towers... pretty colours, anyone? It's just a shame I can't get it going on a Bondi iMac, really

Stu
You don't need firewire ports...my beige mac runs panther (tiger should work too) perfectly fine. Sure you need xpostfacto, but hey it still works.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
direzz said:
is it illeagal to run your own purchase copy of mac os x on a pc?

Yes, since you can't purchase a copy of Mac OS X for x86. The only legal way to get it is to buy an Intel Mac.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Benjamindaines said:
I don't think Apple will ever open up the OS (unless forced by france:p) simply because 1. Apple makes most of their money off the hardware, not the OS, 2. The reason everything works so well with the Mac is because the OS is specially designed for the hard ware if Apple were to open it up there would be all kinds of driver problems with the other PC manufactures, much like how Windows is (except it would look a lot better).

--Cheers

Just imagine how bigger the market would be for iLife, Final cut pro, Aperture etc and just imagine how sucessful Adobe would have been if they had only distributed software for a niche OS like MacOS.

As for MacOSX on PCs....I really doubt it works well and I think it benefits Apple because many of these people who try Tiger on PC will eventually buy a mac so they can use the OS properly.

cairo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
Part of the appeal of switching to Apple for me was the great hardware they make.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.