osx problems... HELP NO ICONS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bokdol, Oct 6, 2004.

1. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

we have 4 computers running OSX panther and jaguar. that today all of a sudden would hang on start up... you can see the background but no icons and topbar. you can see the date and time though. the dock show and you can run the apps in the dock. but you have no icons on the desktop and finder will not come on. but if i relaunch the finder all things work fine... i have zap the pram and repaired permissions... but it still happens. has anyone else had this problem and have you found a fix

thanks

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Sounds like you need to back up everything and reinstall Mac OS X. If you have something like DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro 4 (Disk Utilities) then you can probably repair what ever is wrong. It sounds like a corrupt system file. Any one of those 2 programs will try and find/correct the damaged file(s).

Both of them are around $85 to $90, but it can be a life saver!!!!

3. osprey76 macrumors 6502

All four of them are exhibiting this behavior or just one?

4. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

5. luotuohua macrumors newbie

i've got the same problem with my iBook. it was still ok last night when i shut it down and now the icons aren't showing. any other remedies other than diskwarrior or techtool?

6. russed macrumors 68000

russed

try repairing permissions etc. dont know if it will help but it cant harm!

7. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

will for the ongoing adventure i have not figured out what it may be... but if you relaunce the finder everything goes fine. still bothersome as this seems to be a compleatly new problem... so far these situation have not caused damage to the drives and it is happening to more coputers on our network. i am guessing it is something on our network but not sure. has anyone had any windows/mac network problems?