OSX Questions!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Falleron, May 10, 2002.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Hi, I am the owner of the computer running OSX + want to be able to check that the users of the system are using the system properly!! How can I do this? I am not able to browse user folders or able to login as them(not enough access privaledges)! There must be able to monitor what each user is doing??? I am set to the administrator + have the access to the root!

Thanks for any help

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: OSX Questions!

Try using terminal. Type "w" ("man w" for help on it). Also, "top" should show what's running, although I don't think it shows who's using it. Process viewer might (I haven't tried it) with a root login, but those are somewhat hazardous.

3. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

root

you must be root to browse users folders. You have to enable root and make a root password. You can log in as root at the login screen (must have "other" users enabled) or you can open a termainal and type the command

# su -

you will be promted with for a password. Then you can navigate arround with UNIX commands and check out whats going on in any folders you want.

but... from your post, it sounds like you are new to OS X and UNIX. root privleges can give you tons of power and create tons of problems. you can trash the sytem, halt it, corrup disks, reformat drives and partitions, killl processes, mess up privliges, distroy users, panic the kernal... etc. I sugest that you be very carefull with root if you choose to use it. Dont delet any files with root unless your absolutely positive that you want to. If you cant delete it as andmin... chances are you dont want to trash it.

I have made a simple UNIX command index.. if you want I can post it.

use the man command on any command and find out more abou it

# man ls

-evildead

4. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Another OSX question

Does anyone know how I can maintain my finder preferneces after I close a window. I use a light red color, and larger icons in icon mode. I can open the MacHD and it will go back to white background, smaller icons 4 out of 10 times, some1 please help, thanks

5. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: root

Your right, I am new to unix (been using macs for about 16 years)! In unix I am able to use basic navigation commands to look around + a few other simple functions like that. A question, is there a way to log in as root with the GUI (Eg. if you want the console you can create a user with the name ">console", is there a similar thing for the root but with the interface?

I am the owner of the computer + just want to easily check what people are doing (hopefully without the terminal).

6. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: Another OSX question

If you want to save view changes to a window, you have to open a new window, set it up how you like (without opening any folders), and close it again.

If you open any folders, your settings will be forgotten next time you open a window.

7. trinitishwar macrumors member

Your right, I am new to unix (been using macs for about 16 years)! In unix I am able to use basic navigation commands to look around + a few other simple functions like that. A question, is there a way to log in as root with the GUI (Eg. if you want the console you can create a user with the name ">console", is there a similar thing for the root but with the interface?

Yes, as long as you have enabled the root user you can login as root. Not a good idea to use as your regular login but useful for certain tasks. To enable root open Netinfo (found in the utilities folder. Under the "Domain" menu you will find an submenu called "Security". Under that is "Authenticate". Click on "Authenticate". You will be prompted for a administrative password. If you set up the machine the username and password that you created at setup should work. After authentication, go back to the same menu but choose Enable Root User. I.e. Domain -> Security -> Enable Root User. You will be prompted for a password to give the root user. After that you can close Netinfo and logout. Log back in as "root" (No quotation marks) using the password you just created and you should be good to go. Just don't delete anything if you not sure of exactly what it is/does. Good Luck!

8. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Thanks people, I have now managed to do what I need to do. I had to change the style of login screen (from icon -> text box so that I could get to the root account). Thanks again.