OSX Re-install ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blackscooby, Jun 21, 2006.

1. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Hi,

Since getting my MacBook a few weeks ago I've mucked around with it, installed apps, removed apps etc. You name it I've messed the disk around.

Whats the best way to re-install ?
    Boot from DVD and reformat and start over ?

I really want to have the MacBook as Apple supplied it, plus an app or two.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why do you want to do this? Does your computer still work? If so, then there is no need to reinstall. If not, then you should use the System Restore disk that shipped with your computer.

3. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Yes, you should boot from the DVD, reformat your drive, then install OS X (disable extra languages when you do so to save disc space). You should also purchase an external HD for backup purposes. Then use SuperDuper to periodically back up your drive.

4. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

There's nothing wrong with the OS at the moment, but I just want to get rid of all the sh*te I've put on it over the past few weeks. My re-install will be more selective, with no printer drivers etc to optimize disk space.

Cheers,

Mark

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

There's no cause to reinstall OSX just to get rid of applications. You can simply throw out what you don't want.

As for print drivers, I understand the impulse, but I'd advise against doing this, especially on a laptop. You'll be traveling with the Mac, won't you? Don't you think it would be nice to be able to print from it on a moment's notice, no matter where you find yourself?

6. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Hmmmmm..... OK I'll go for a purge of sh*te rather than a re-install as it does seem a little un-necessary considering there's nothing wrong with it at all, plus it's all set up for my WiFi etc.

Let the clean up begin.... tomorrow as it's after midnight already :(

Ta

Mark

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I totally hosed my OS X install by running an app' that's supposed to remove unwanted languages. I selected everything but US-English not knowing there was another option for plain old English that I should have left. Anyways, did an Archive and Install, removed a few other things that I really didn't need and ended up with 40GB free space on my 60GB drive. About 10GB better off than I was :p [EDIT] That includes my applications...

BTW - it didn't break my Wi-Fi. All networking and user settings were still good to go.

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Heh that's why I have 2 IDE's into my G5. The one has system 10.4.6 in it, and I use it for games and adding or removing applications etc. The other one has a virgin system 10.4.6 in it, with no changes at all. Never had to use the second one, though, as for 1.5 year now, I have experienced no problems at all (except some kernel panics that came as a surprise gift with 10.3.8 :)).