OSX refuses to print across network

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jigglelicious, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I have 2 macs connected to my router - my eMac is hooked up directly by CAT5 and my parents iMac connects wirelessly from upstairs. I have a Samsung ML-1710 hooked up directly to my eMac, which has printer sharing turned on. The iMac upstairs sees the printer without issue, but when it comes time to actually print something, it sits at "connecting to 192.168.0.2" for like 2 minutes, and then finally gives me a "Printer is busy" error. But the printer is doing absolutely nothing. I can print from the eMac directly just fine.

Has anyone else had an experience like this or knows what might be the culprit?

2. Jigglelicious thread starter macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect that your router is not letting printer sharing traffic through. That explanation matches your symptoms, at least. My network setup is like this:

Code:
    (Internet)<->Router<->Hub<->Computers
                           ^
                           |
                           V
                   Wireless Access Point<->Computers
    The Wireless Access Point has its routing functions turned off. Sharing of any sort works just fine on the local network, since it doesn't pass through the router.