Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Das

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
I just was wondering if the flaw reported by Slashdot was true. It reads that if you hold down a key on the screensaver password prompt for about 5 minutes then press enter that it will bypass the security feature and let people have access to your desktop. Has anyone actually tried it?

Sorry if it's been discussed already before (tried researching it on the boards, but couldn't find a thread).

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
Dude Does it really matter...I mean anyone who can sit in frount of your computer can compromise your security. Now if this was something that another person in another party of the country could take advantige of then I would be worried. But I don't think that this is atop Apples list of things to do. I mean Sheeh

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Steradian
Dude Does it really matter...I mean anyone who can sit in frount of your computer can compromise your security. Now if this was something that another person in another party of the country could take advantige of then I would be worried. But I don't think that this is atop Apples list of things to do. I mean Sheeh
see, you're worried about hackers. i think in terms of this situation, i would be worried about idiots. that would mess things up by being stupid. but i don't use screensaver protection too much.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
hold down what key? any key?

and does this work at the login screen? particularily on panther i would like to know about because there is a loginwindow application that runs off of the same engine framework for both the login and screensaver...as far as i can tell, i am not 100% sure on that.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
in panther it seems they moved away from the screensaver ...i didn't even see the screen effects password option but i didn't look very far..it seems like ther was more of a focus towards using the sleep protection and soft-logouts...but thats imo

Das

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Originally posted by Shadowfax
sorry, i couldn't help it:

hey, where's the any key?

To heck with that I'm still waiting for my Tab, I pressed that button a million times and nada! I mean, what’s the point of having a retractable cup holder built into the computer if you can’t even get a drink when you request it?

Anyhoo, you can press any key as long as you press it a lot or just paste a lot. Funny thing is that people are reporting that it can crash any COCOA app which I was wondering if anyone has duplicated like on the login panel.

I really doubt this is a huge bug nor does it have to potential to become one, but still it's interesting that something this simplistic was missed.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by Shadowfax
sorry, i couldn't help it:

hey, where's the any key?

To start press any key. Well where's the "any" key? I see Esc, Ctarl , and PigUp. There doesn't seem to be any any key! Phew. All this computer hacking is making me thirsty. I think I'll order a Tab. Oop! No time for that now, the computer's starting.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by ibookin'
The problem is solved in Panther, by the way.
errr...explain to me how i just got the screensaver to crash in panther...
are you sure you did it relatively correctly, type in garbage then press ctrl+a, ctrl+k then hold down ctrl+y for half a minute or so?
i thought the flaw was so stupid that instead of typing the password for my account, I keep typing in garbage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.