OSX SCSI problem w/ G3 Beige

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mikepctp, Feb 8, 2004.

1. mikepctp macrumors member

I just completed loading a new CD version of OS 10.2.1.

I have a rev 2.2 300mhz G3 beige desktop and it has both ATA and SCSI buses. I have the OS on the SCSI drive. The beast boots up OK and runs well UNTIL I connect the external SCSI chain. On the external chain I have a 47 Gb seagate and a Ricoh CDRW. The seagate is first in line and the CDRW is second. The CDRW has the termination on it.

IF I connect to the SCSI port on the computer, it won't boot... black screen and playing dead.

This is not a PCI SCSI card, it is the on-board SCSI.

I do have a Radeon 7000 video card and a D-Link 10/100 card. They seem fine I guess... no black screen.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks... MP

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

check the drives

Check them for their scsi number, aka the jumper settings. The internal hard drive probably set up as 0 or 1 and the scsi chip tells to boot that number. But when you connect the external, one of them might have the same number, causing this problem of not knowing which to boot from. Is this a new problem due to the adding of a scsi device?

3. mikepctp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response Varmit... unfortunately, the whole system worked just fine under 9.2.2 and I only discovered this problem when the upgrade to X was done... hmmm

I know, sounds weird but is it possible I need to wait a long time for it to boot with the external bus connected?

Dunno... Thanx... MP

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I think I remember reading somewhere OS X doesn't support built-in SCSI, or something to that affect. I'm not really sure, but it kinda sticks out in my mind.

5. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

No, os x fully supports scsi, remember the powermac g4 MDD's and quicksilvers had scsi pci as a option. As for built in scsi, well I have ran os x on my beige g3's built in scsi b4. Plus if you look around in the system enough you can find scsi foundation kits and such and if you look around you will see "built in scsi" somewhere.

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

7. mikepctp thread starter macrumors member

My beige seems to support the built in SCSI as well... until you connect a chain to the port out back... Then it craps out...

I just don't know where to look when it worked fine with addresses and configurations set as it is with OS 9.2.2... hmmmm...

Thanx... MP:confused: :confused:

8. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Really, right now i have to x started up on my 8 gig scsi and it has a zip 250 hooked up to the scsi on back, all works fine, 10.2.8.

9. ltgator333 macrumors member

termination

I noticed problems with my parents machine (beige G3 desktop, rev A) when I upgraded to OS X 10.1 in terms to the external built in SCSI that hadn't exsisted with OS 9 as well, not to the point where it wouldn't boot but wouldn't recognize the drives and such. I might try getting an active terminator to go on the end of your SCSI chain, your local PC shop should have them (maybe..), just make sure to get the one that fits whatever the second connection on your external box is, centronics or HD-50. Also you could try opening the box and disconnecting one of the devices then try booting to see perhaps which device is causing the problem.