osx server 10.3 installation!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Creative, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Creative macrumors newbie

hi
    i have been given osx server 10.3. i am about to install it on my mac but i dont want to install it as a server version. can i install it as a "non" server version with the disks? i was given the server from my dad's friend. he knows nothing about it! lol. anyhow....i just want to use it as a normal version. anyway i can do this? i currently have 10.2.8 on it.
    anyone have any idea how i can do this?
    thank you.

creative.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Nope. The core OS is the same, but the installers are specific to the type of OS. You probably won't have any problems if you just run the server version, but it's going to have a lot of features you don't need, and a few control panels will be different.

Considering, however, that an OSX Server license costs several hundred dollars, if you actually have a server licence and not just an install disc w/serial number that's already in use elsewhere, you'd do better to sell it to someone who can use it and just buy yourself a copy of Panther or Tiger--you'll turn a hefty profit.

If it's not a "legit" copy, then you're out of luck.

3. belvdr macrumors 601

As far as compatibility goes, I had no issues running anything on 10.3 Server, due to the kernel being the same, as Makosuke stated.

4. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

If they are legit discs, I'll trade you my normal 10.3 discs for those. :D

5. belvdr macrumors 601

The disks are no big deal.. It's the serial number you'll want to be legit. ;)