OSX Server issue URGENT - Please help !

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davegoody, Dec 23, 2004.

1. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

Hi all, my turn to ask all you guys for help !

I have recently set up a G5 1.8 Single Processor machine as a server for the Macs at my workplace. Nice machine, works fine in (almost) every way, all latest updates to OSX Server 10.3, server performance is great. The ONE problem (and it is a biggie) is that EVERY time blank Media is placed into the Superdrive, the server kicks all of the users off and becomes invisible on the network - pretty weird as the machine continues to work perfectly and CDs / DVDs always write OK. The only way to allow users to log back in is to reboot the server. If anyone has any idea WTF is happening here then I would really appreciate your help ! - By the way - HAPPY CHRISTMAS / NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL !
    P.S. In case it makes a difference, the G5 is configured with 2x250Gb Drives set up as a mirrored pair (RAID 0) - this seems ok.

2. sgarringer macrumors regular

Heres how to fix it -- don't burn CDs on a production server... burn them from a workstation over the network.

3. davegoody thread starter macrumors 6502

davegoody

Anyone with Constructive help ???

LOL - FUNNY ! - That is not a fix it is a work-around, surely this is not normal behaviour, if a crappy PeeCee server does not do this, surely a nice shiny new G5 Mac should not ! - Anybody got any other ideas ?

Thanks !

4. garybUK Guest

garybUK

No its a really good point, if the machine is that important then don't use it for anything but serving! It should be away from users prying hands and if you need to burn media then use a workstation.

Many servers, even very very very high end Quad Xeon 3ghz (2mb Cache) with 8gb ram come only with a cd-rom drive.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As the other fellas said, servers should be outta the way and not touched unless they need to be.

Do your desktop functions on a desktop machine, not your server :rolleyes:

If you really must use your server for such a mediocre task, then best bet is probably to get on the phone to Apple.

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I agree most here. A server should never be touched unless you are installing something onto it or working directly at it for servicing. You should not be using it to burn data, unless its a last minute backup before the server fails. The server might be kicking everyone off becase you are burning data that is being servered to the users or is not suppose to be accessed this way. Like Exchange server, you can't just burn the data files that make up the Exchange database. You have to stop the Exchange services, which the Mac seems to be doing, then you can burn the files. So in my mind, it probably is functioning the way it was ment to function.