OSX.. So?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mymemory, Jun 9, 2002.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Ok, I'm installing OSX for a secund chance. This time I upgraded my G4 400 to a dual 500. The difference on speed? none, I used Bryce 5 with os 9.2.2, (G4 400), then I used it with the dual 500 and now with OSX and the dual 500 and the rendering speed is just the same. Worst, my video ram is less now. I'm using the latest OSX (not the latest upgrade yet) and I do not see the "power" in it.

I'm I doing something wrong?

I know Bryce 5 is slow but should be faster now. Photoshop works a bit faster, I can play DVD, quicktimes, at same smoothly, but why shoul I have 2 movies playing at same time?

I can see a 10% impruvment at most, wich is not a good deal for me.

Dr. Evil said once: "I can't see the cheese in the toast!"
  2. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Ok, I'm gonna reply myself.

I do not know about Bryce but with After Effects (for 9) works really well. I'm doing a full size 30fps rendering, full gussian blur and while the computer is ding that I'm navigatting too.

Now, that is really good but I was expecting a faster performance, not the regular one impruved.

Today I guess I'm gonna spend the rest of the day cleaning the hard drives, creatting new partitions and installing everything again from scratch.

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR

...were you expecting faster performance from OSX? Haven't you heard all the complaints about it being slow? It is more powerful, but not by being faster. Its power comes from reliability, multitasking, and better standards support. 10.2 should bring it up to somewhere around OS9 levels for most things, and faster for a few (it's already faster for a few).

btw, 10.1.5 should speed up your machine a bit. I think the dual 500s have a rage pro.
  4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    If you expect faster responsiveness in X, you need to upgrade your video card! Get a Radeon at the very least.
  5. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    I believe that bryce for OS 9 it not MP aware nor altivec aware, so you're not going to see much improvement in the speed of that app with only a 100mhz jump from the point of view of that program. but ya after effects and photoshop should seem faster...I'm pretty sure after effects is MP and altivec aware like photoshop (although altivec support in PS is only for a couple of filters I think). if you get the newer version of bryce (which is OSX compatible) it sould benefeit from your new machine.

OS X is slower, but its smoother. you'll never have a situation where you'll be waiting for something to quite or for something to run and it will act like its frozen. for example starting up or shutting down photoshop causes the computer to be unresponsive for a few seconds while you wait. you'll never have that in OS X; you can just move to a different program for the time being

also be sure to have a copy of norton or tech tool handy. I've gotten a lot of disk corruption from OS X (corrupted b tree, invalid free block count), usually when I have to force restart
  6. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2002
    Hong Kong
    i think part of the irony about os x that people arent unerstanding is this:

theoretically, if you could insatll os 8 on an apple I, it would barely be able to start up in a few hours.. thus os's arent always built to be optimized on slower computers. i think that apple kinda got ahead of their time by making an os slightly more resource intensive than their hardware could handle.. i think apple will soon release new hardware which will allow the os to run better.. but thats beside the point..