OSX sound problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drumpat01, Feb 4, 2006.

1. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

Hey guys, sometimes when I shut my iBook and then open it back up, all my OSX system sounds wont play. Such as the emptying the trash, getting new mail in apple mail, in iChat i can make it speak someones name but it wont play the regular sounds of getting a new IM or someone signing off and on. The only way i've found to fix this is to reset the computer. I've tried just switching users but that doesn't work. I've tried logging off of this user account and then logging back on but that doesn't work either. I've looked around is system settings but everything is turned on that I can find. I've also repaired permissions and that didn't work. Another weird thing, the poping noise when you change the volume will still play. So what do you guys think?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's probably an Audio MIDI problem although usually a restart doesn't help. A quicker solution may be to open and then close Garageband.

3. drumpat01 thread starter macrumors 6502

drumpat01

ya i tried that. it didn't work. It seems that the only sounds that dont play are what the system preferences call the "alert sounds." everything else plays.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In Audio MIDI Setup (in the Utilities folder), is the Audio Output set to 44100Hz?

Actually, maybe just take a screenshot of that app. :)

5. drumpat01 thread starter macrumors 6502

drumpat01

[​IMG]

there ya go. and yes i do have headphones in right now so thats why it says headphones

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well was the sound working properly at the time you took this shot? If so, wait until it breaks again and then take another screen shot to compare the differences. :)

7. drumpat01 thread starter macrumors 6502

drumpat01

No the sound was not working when i took the shot. I reset my computer and now the sound is working. I have checked the settings and they are the same as when the sound is not working.